New Software For The 04 Es330 Transmission

:o I recently took my 04 ES330 in for 10,000 mile maintenance. I live in the Washington D.C. area, and like most metropolitan areas there is traffic all over the place. The car was shifting erratically in traffic jams. When I mentioned this to my service rep I was told that Lexus recognized this as a problem, and that a software fix would be coming out this summer. Has anyone else heard of this, and what have you heard? The rep said that they are being quite cautious because the software fix for the 01/02 ES 300 was not an overwhelming success.

GOOD NEWS STORY: I had previously posted that I was having trouble with floaty handling in what we call the "mixing bowl," namely 2 miles of twisty traffic and turns in what will be several years of construction. I worked with the folks at a tire web site and ended up getting a set of Continental ContiPreimerContact (80,000 mile warranty). They have really improved the handling of the car. I've gone from "white knuckle" driving through the mixing bowl to being reasonably relaxed. :D

Jeff (npigs)

Jeff-

Gald to hear the handling has improved. Interesting choice of tires, the ContiPremiers are touring tires just like the Michelins you had. The harder tread substance (what makes for the 80k mile warranty) must have been what helped. Glad it did!

As for the software fix I have heard nothing about that, which dealership was this? Hopefully its a software fix for the electronic throttle this time...

Steve:

The dealer was Lexus of Annapolis, and they did not go into any detail on what the software would do.

By the way, the more I see of your car in your color, the more I like it. Where the gold shines is that all the pollin, dirt and tree stuff we get are less noticeable. A sacrifice of beauty for practicality. :cheers:

Jeff

:o I recently took my 04 ES330 in for 10,000 mile maintenance. I live in the Washington D.C. area, and like most metropolitan areas there is traffic all over the place. The car was shifting erratically in traffic jams. When I mentioned this to my service rep I was told that Lexus recognized this as a problem, and that a software fix would be coming out this summer. Has anyone else heard of this, and what have you heard? The rep said that they are being quite cautious because the software fix for the 01/02 ES 300 was not an overwhelming success.

My dealer told me a few weeks ago that it was a known problem - but that there was no fix. I contacted Lexus both my snail mail and email - and did get a call back both times. They insisted that there was no problem and that the car was operating 'as designed'. In the next breath, they told me that they would contact me if they had a fix for the 'concern'. They never explained why they were looking for a fix if there was no problem.

In any event, I would encourage you to contact NHTSA and file a complaint. I posted the directions in the thread pinned at the top of this board. It's on the next to last page, near the bottom.

I'll certainly be happy if they fix it. I love my ES330 except for the transmission.

Yeah dark colors are nice when they're clean lol

I agree - but I'm not buying any more dark color cars. First, it's extremely hard to keep them clean. Second, I live in the South and they just get too hot. I only live about 5 miles from work, so I get to work (or home) before the car cools off.