Which Leak Kills The Alternator?

flanker271

I'm fully aware of my ps pump leaking poblem on my 92LS. One week ago I went to my local Toyota to have a look at just bad the leak is. Mechanics there told me in addition to the pump leaking, there are two more additional leaks:

--Power steering rack is leaking

--High pressure power steering line is leaking

What exactly do rack and "line" function in the ps assembly? I just want to fixed the one problem that has the potential to fry my alternator. Which leak should I fix? I'm on a tight budget ;)

Thanks!

without looking at it I would say it's your high pressure line then your pump you should worry about. The rack is located under the car and I've seen them priced over $300 (not installed). I would have high pressure line done and if you have the $$ to do the pump, do it also.

I had the same leaks. High pressure hose is $350 plus instalation. This, with the other hose repairs cost $900...not good for a "tight budget".

Problem is, it will destroy the alternator in time.

rack from the dealer is 1400$ while rebuild will cost u aruond 300$. rack and the hose and the pump are all diy jobs and will save u a lot of $. there are threads on the pump and rack replacement. btw rack is the one that actually turns the wheels:)

its the pump itself. get a rebuild one from autozone for 100$ and replace it urself. you will have to flush and bleed ur pps system after that but its pretty simple and straigh forward.

Which leak should I fix? I'm on a tight budget

Remove your alternator and make a protective cover for it like this:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/alternatorcov.jpg The alternator is easy to get to if you first drain the coolant, remove the radiator and transmission cooler hoses and then remove the radiator.

I agree with 99LSGuy that another inexpensive thing you should do is get the PS solenoid filter screen cleaned. A clogged screen causes high pressures in the system which in turn aggravates leaks.