Leak In Differential

vyhanh

Hi,

Last few days, I noticed that there was leakage in the differential (I think that what it is: the grey metallic looking odd shape behind the engine oil pan). It leaks along (ie across the car) the joint. I tightened all the bolts without any success. Any help? Difficult to fix? Thanks

Like Mr. Ferrari says............its not the diffy.

Your may be looking @ the tranny itself......or the pan?? is it retacngular with the long sides running from front - back under the car???

Is the fluid a tinted red color??

If it is the tranny pan:

You'll need new gasket goo around the entire pan.....a continuous bead 2-3mm in width:

Part NO 08826-00090, Three bond 1281 or equivalent

Mine has 19 bolts......torque is only 65 in lbs per bolt. Finger tighten and alternate sides as you tighten W/ wrench......

Hi,

Thanks for all the tips. Learned something new everyday. What a forum ! :P

I definitely think it is the trans pan (leak is at middle of car, behind the oil sump/pan). Fluid is red in color.

Just took the car to JiffyLube. The manager took a look and said the oil seal (between the oil sump and the trans pan) was the culprit. Any thought?

Oh........

That could be the rear main seal :o

If so, this is not good - a $20 gasket plus $500 labor to get the tranny off :(

Hi,

Questions:

1. Can I leave this leak for a while?

2. What type of oil is leaking (tran, diff, P/S, Engine)? I think it kind of red in color.

3. The dealer will look at it on Thursday. How can I tell that he diagnoses the problem correctly?

4. By flushing the transmission and using synthetic engine oil, would these have corrupted the seal (if it was the seal)?

Thanks

VH

Just got the damage estimate from dealer: Rear Main Seal $1400 + tax. Temp solution: Keep an eye on the oil !!!! :cries: :cries: :cries:

Sounds like a good idea...........

Drive it till it's hemorraging and then let it go............