So I Go To The Goodyear...

Belaflek

down the street because I am in DIRE need of 4 new tires. They tell me that it will only take V rated tires...true or no..I call BS...tried to get me for $800. Ill go to tirerack.com and have the local garage put em on..sheesh...

there is a minimum tire rating that Lexus recommends, but you can use any tire you want. 800 dollars is rediculous :wacko:

you could even put some awesome Z rated tires on there and it wouldn't run you 800 bucks....

but yes, tirerack is a great source to look for tires, you can get a good idea of what kind of tire, traction,speed rating, price, and all those goodies just by doing a search for your specific vehicle......and then you can go locally and see if you can find them cheaper.....thats what i always do, good luck :)

I just put new tires on too so I know what you're going through. The handling and vehicle dynamics are designed around V rated tires. You MAY be fine to switch to an H rated tire, but I wouldn't go any lower. I know people who have put H rated tires on the LS and had no problems, and I know people who have put H rated tires on the LS and had huge problems in ride and handling. Its a risk, it just depends on the savings that you get. No tire shop is going to sell you anything but a Vrated or better tire for liability reasons. No reason to put Z rated tires on the LS all that is going to do is adversely affect the ride.

Tires are very important to the Lexus unlike a Cadillac or Lincoln where the ride is all in the suspension a lot of the Lexus ride is in the tires. The right set of good riding tires will really help the car a lot. What tires were you looking at?

Only problem with Tire Rack is they leave out some great tires as I learned when purchasing my new set of Toyos. These tires have won all kinds of awards but TireRack doesn't sell them.

i am the person who typically gets sportier tires than i should. i have oned pretty much every dunlop sport series tire, and all i have to say is u don't get the good stuff till the V rating

i run dunlops sport V's as well....i love em really soft and quite, good grip

Ok what about Michelin or Goodrich tires... I know this sounds cheap, but they are having a good sale at costco on tires. Don't kill me. but I need some new ones. I'll spend more if you all really think I will notice the difference, but I'd prefer to spend less if possible.

The tires they offer

Michelin® Energy MXV4+ P205/65VR15 $141.99

Michelin® Pilot® Primacy™ 205/65R15 $134.99

BFGoodrich® Touring T/A P205/65VR15 $84.99

What do you think? (its $80 off if you buy 4)

Again, i can spend more, but as with everyone, i'd prefer not to.

thanks in advance

Ok what about Michelin or Goodrich tires... I know this sounds cheap, but they are having a good sale at costco on tires. Don't kill me. but I need some new ones. I'll spend more if you all really think I will notice the difference, but I'd prefer to spend less if possible.

The tires they offer

Michelin® Energy MXV4+ P205/65VR15 $141.99

Michelin® Pilot® Primacy™ 205/65R15 $134.99

BFGoodrich® Touring T/A P205/65VR15 $84.99

What do you think? (its $80 off if you buy 4)

Again, i can spend more, but as with everyone, i'd prefer not to.

thanks in advance

Those Michelin Energy MVX4's always get good marks - they are a good tire for sure. I've never heard anything bad about them

I have a Costco within 1 mile and I'm considering the Michelins also ( while the $80 rebate is going on!!!)

That'd be $570 - $80 + tax = $530 approx........

SWO,

Did you get the Toyo Proxes TPT's??????? I've heard their a great tire too!!!

Local shop specializing in Lexus always put a "H" rated tire on the LS's - just a standard touring tire - nothing special..........

Thanks 99ls, I was all set to buy the Michilens, now I don't know what to do cuz of SW0..argh :) just kidding.

Can I just get the BF Goodrich ones or are they considered too "cheap". I don't know the difference in rides between any of them. I don't mind spending more though if its worth it.

thanks everyone

markkr64: the only other thing that i would consider is the warranted miles they are supposed to get. maybe they're all the same....i am too lazy to look into it.

mbpgawest: if they are similar to the tires that my 94 came on when i bought it 6 months ago (bridgestone turanzas) then they are great. my tires are perfect in every way.

also, i've looked up comments and ratings for kuhmo tires on tirerack.com and they look great. they are extremely cheap and have awesome reviews. has anyone had kuhmo tires?

Put a penny upside down in the tread, if you can see Abe Lincoln's head you need new tires.

Your dad says tires NEVER have to be replaced or those tires are fine?

As for the ER33s from what I've read they're a good smooth touring tire.

I had the MXV-4 on a couple of previous non-Lexus cars. Great ride, quiet, but they handle like marshmallows.

I put Bridgestone Potenza RE-930i's on the Lexus. Very loud high pitched whine. Handled and rode OK. Went back to Costco where I bought them, and they took them back, at the price I paid for them, and I stepped up to Michelin XGT-H4 Pilots. Great tire, quiet, handles great, steers great, rides great.

Thanks all. Are tehy reaally french? That would about put the nail in the coffin for me. I'm not going to ask what country the BF goodrich ones are, but i think i'm going with those.

Costco sale ends on the 27th I think.

Put a penny upside down in the tread, if you can see Abe Lincoln's head you need new tires.

Your dad says tires NEVER have to be replaced or those tires are fine?

As for the ER33s from what I've read they're a good smooth touring tire.

i tried that yesterday and his head is more then half visiable is that bad?

i drive hard and take turns hard, i hear mad squealing noises...

is that bad? should i lay off til i get new tires??