Hood Keeps Falling

markkr64

When I open the hood of my car, it doesn't stay up very well. There isn't a lock or anything. Do I have to replace those supporting bars (I don't know what they are called) or can I just tighen them somehow? Its so annoying to be working and then have the thing fall on your head.

thanks.

I have a '90 ls 400

the OEM hood shocks might be 100 bucks a piece, but the universal hood shocks at autozone are about 30 total i believe, thats what every uses to replace the worn oem ones.

i believe there is a tutorial for you some where around here, but its a pretty simple DIY

I went to my local crafts store and brought a wooden stick....perfect for holding the hood up.....when not using it simply hide it under the carpet in the trunk.

I also glued magic tape at the ends so it will stick to the under carpet. Very nice!

what about just putting a broom stick up while u work on the car

:D :D :D Thats what i do :D ;)

I tell people when they comment about the stick holding the bonnet(hood) up,its because in its life time the bonnet has hardly been lifted cos nothing really goes wrong with them,and its not used to being lifted up :D :cheers:

I replaced the OEM hood shocks on my 98 LS, my brother's 91 LS and my other brother's 92 LS. I used the tutorial I found here, and got the shocks at Autozone. The nice thing is that the shocks cost $16 each and have a lifetime warranty, the Lexus shocks cost $80 to $110 each and don't have the warranty. It takes about 30 minutes a shock, and once replaced if you need to do it again (which I doubt) it will take about 10 minutes a shock. After the replacement, you can just release the hood and use 1 finger to lift it.

• 1 month later...

I just completed the AUtozone $32 fix for both hood shocks on my 95 LS400. I have seen the tutorial with drilling and perhaps I can make a recommendation. If you put the old hood shock in a vice and take a hack saw to the end cutting almost all the way through until hitting the swivel and pry open with a large screwdriver you will not have to drill at all. Following the procedure I ended up braking a bit and it took 30 minutes to do only 1 side. By cutting with a hack saw I finished the other 3 sides in 15 minutes. I put the struts on the hood (12mm wrench) and it is like new. This is an excellent fix and not too painful. I was really tired of the broom prop.

• 3 months later...
I just completed the AUtozone $32 fix for both hood shocks on my 95 LS400.  I have seen the tutorial with drilling and perhaps I can make a recommendation.  If you put the old hood shock in a vice and take a hack saw to the end cutting almost all the way through until hitting the swivel and pry open with a large screwdriver you will not have to  drill at all.  Following the procedure I ended up braking a bit and it took 30 minutes to do only 1 side.  By cutting with a hack saw I finished the other 3 sides in 15 minutes.  I put the struts on the hood (12mm wrench) and it is like new.  This is an excellent fix and not too painful.  I was really tired of the broom prop.

I just bought a pair at AutoZone part number Mighty Lift 95029 for my 98 LS400 and they came with the studs with the right threads etc. Just unbolted the old ones..screwed in the supplied studs and popped the supports on. Took about 15 mins and less than $30 to have it back in business.

I should of known better but I do not have the Autozone shocks in the same direction - one has the shock and one has it down. Can someone share which is the correct orientation? Obviously I have one on correctly.... The hood works fine but I would like to visually correct this.

Thanks

hello, ive also done this hood strut replacement with the one by mighty lift found at autozone, its only during the first few months after install since they are still new and gas hasnt been compressed or used up yet eventually theyll be just as fine as an OEM for less 30. bucks, just my .02 :cheers:

lol i wish i had known there wre lexus shocks at autozone because whenever i had asked the guy at pepboy or autozone theyd gimme a look like i was crazy asking them somehting for a lexus lol so i spent around 230 or so on the OEM shocks there not hard to install my 14 year old son did it for me he does most of the work on my cars due to the fact im so busy

amaisingly he took apart the lexus radio and figured out how to remove it and everythin i was kind of surprised he even got it to worked and changed the bulbs in it because they had blown out

lol i wish i had known there wre lexus shocks at autozone because whenever i had asked the guy at pepboy or autozone theyd gimme a look like i was crazy asking them somehting for a lexus lol so i spent  around 230 or so on the OEM shocks there not hard to install my 14 year old son did it for me he does most of the work on my cars due to the fact im so busy

amaisingly he took apart the lexus radio and figured out how to remove it and everythin i was kind of surprised he even got it to worked and changed the bulbs in it because they had blown out

Oh, they're not really Lexus shocks...MightyLifts are universal.

When I open the hood of my car, it doesn't stay up very well.  There isn't a lock or anything.  Do I have to replace those supporting bars (I don't know what they are called) or can I just tighen them somehow?  Its so annoying to be working and then have the thing fall on your head.

thanks.

I have a '90 ls 400

I attached a small, slotted adjustable hose clamp to one of the hood struts. When I open the hood, I lift the clamp up the shaft and tighten the screw with a dime. Works fine. Cost: 50 cents.