1995 Es 300

We have inherited a 95 ES300 with low mileage (32,000) but I already drive a 98 Toyota Camry LE-V6 which also has very low mileage (38,000). We must sell one car and I can't decide which.

The Lexus has some nice upgrades not on the Camry, but I already spent almost $400 to replace the O2 sensor and a fuel induction service. The Lexus is still only getting so-so mileage and when turning corners in the parking garage I can hear a metallic clanking noise coming from under the front axle area. I am afraid this could be an expensive problem. Plus it needs rear brakes per the repair shop.

The Camry is in need of routine maintenance but has no problems I am aware of. It's not very flashy, but has been a great car.

Any thoughts about the clanking noise or which car I should keep?

The clanking noise can be the I think it is called the stablizer bar, that is loose or needs to be replaced?

I would put both of them for sale and see which one gets me more $ vs. the book value or what it is worth around your area.

The ES fuel economy is not so great since it is under powered. If you want to you can sell both of them and come join us in the super luxury field "The LS." :cheers:

check your CV joints between the tranny and the hub. It could be that a boot has rotted, the grease has spun out and you got a metal knuckle rubbing against a metal knuckle. The noise will be more pronounced when cornerning.

Put them both up for sale, combine the money and get a newer ES.

steviej

We can't sell both cars. If the clanking noise upon tight turns is the CV joints, is this an expensive repair?

Also, would you have the brakes done at the Lexus dealer, or could the Toyota dealer (cheaper) do this? I learned not to have brakes done at the neighbor hood tire store as they put cheap pads on the Toyota and they squeak.

thanks, Kathleen

We can't sell both cars.  If the clanking noise upon tight turns is the CV joints, is this an expensive repair? 

Also, would you have the brakes done at the Lexus dealer, or could the Toyota dealer (cheaper) do this?  I learned not to have brakes done at the neighbor hood tire store as they put cheap pads on the Toyota and they squeak.

thanks,  Kathleen

Personally, I would keep the '95 ES300 and sell the Camry. My Dad just bought my college bound sister a '98 Camry w/ 50K on it. I drove it home from the auction for him and there was <b>NO</b> comparison to the ride quality and feel of the ES.

Many of the technologies/amenities/etc. on the '95 Lexus didn't show up in the Toyota Camry until 1998 or after. The interior is nicer and more quiet, the ride quality and styling is better on the ES.

As to the repairs, find a reliable independent mechanic and let him make all of the repairs. There's no need to take a car that is almost 10 years old to the dealership to fix basic problems. (That's why you paid too much for the O2 sensor.) This goes for any make (save a superluxury or Italian ride). The ES is only slightly more expensive to maintain than the Camry, and with its reliability you shouldn't have to make too many repairs anyway.

Brakes are easy and just about anyone can do them. Squeaking is not necessarily an indication of a cheap pad. Different mfgs. use different compounds in their pads, & some tend to squeak more on certain cars. If it is your CV boot, then it should be replaced, but do it soon before the whole axle needs to be done.

My $.02 is to keep the Lexus and sell the Camry. Besides, you'll never be able to sell the Lexus anywhere near market value unless you make the repair to fix the grinding noise. At that point you will have already put the money into the Lexus. Use the proceeds from the Camry to make any other necessary repairs to the Lexus and keep driving it. With only 32K on it it should run for at least another 100K w/ no major problems. (I have 120K on my '95 ES300 and it still runs like the day I bought it.)

CV joints or complete half shafts can be had for less than $100 at AutoZone or the like. Installation takes about 1 1/2 hours. Most independents can do it. If you can hear clicking and it has been clicking for a while....just get the remanufactured 1/2 shaft. It's not worth repacking and rebooting the worn joint.

brakes can be done at Toyota. They can also be done at an independent. You can even work a deal that you bring in the parts and they do the labor. Lexus/Toyota pads are about $40 a set (front or rear) from www.irontoad.com. Rotors go for about $75 each. Before replacing rotors, always see if there is enough material left to resurface before replacing. It saves some money.

steviej