1999 Rx300

bluestu

My check engine light stays on all the time. I've had the codes cleared and it comes back on. The dealer says that it is a problem with the 1999 RX300 and could either be the O2 sensor or a problem with the emission control system. My car also seems to be sluggish on power. Does anyone know the solution for fixing the problem and if a bad O2 sensor might cause a drop in engine performance?

Lexus should be able to diagnose more precisely, but it's likely the O2 sensor. I had two replaeced on mine. I would recommend buying them aftermarket and having someone else put in. Lexus will charge super premium. Do a search on this site for engine problems or check engine light or O2 sensor. There's been several replies for this area.

Good luck

Hey bluestu,

It certainly does sound like the O2 sensor needs to be replaced. I

don't know your mileage, but guessing it's 5 yrs old, and average yearly

mileage, that does fit the possible problem. I'm not a real mechanical

individual, so I would like to follow your problem and it's repair, as my

2001 just crossed the 60K figure. Fortunately, I had the dealership do

my 60K early, before I took possesion of the vehicle.

Keep us posted on the problem and solution.

PharmGuy

I had a similar problem just recently -- low power at the high end, but pretty peppy at the low end. Problems was the air mass meter. The related codes (can't recall which ones) could have meant air mass or O2 sensors.

The air mass meter is EASY to replace if that's the cause -- two screws and a connecxtor on top of the incoming air flow tube. Replacement time is 5 minutes. I got the part for about $115 from http://newlexusparts.com.

My check engine light stays on all the time. I've had the codes cleared and it comes back on. The dealer says that it is a problem with the 1999 RX300 and could either be the O2 sensor or a problem with the emission control system. My car also seems to be sluggish on power. Does anyone know the solution for fixing the problem and if a bad O2 sensor might cause a drop in engine performance?

do not guess without reading from the code. you need to read what code from scanner (OBDII) and go from there.