Replace Gs300 Trunk Shocks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Any luck finding new struts, other than the dealer. I need them too.

Thanks,

Jon

I was just told by my body shop man that I could probably get the shocks at AutoZone. He has been right on before. I've yet to inquire at AutoZone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lexus-GS300-Trunk-Stru...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here you go!!! ;)

• 2 months later...

Thanks,

Jon

I was just told by my body shop man that I could probably get the shocks at AutoZone. He has been right on before. I've yet to inquire at AutoZone.

Today is your lucky day! Although the gas filled trunk lift supports are only thought to be available through the Lexus dealer at a ridiculously high price, there is a little known cross reference with the Acura Legend Hood lift supports. The Pep Boys Part number for the lifts is SG326003 and the OEM brand name is Lift-O-Mat. I just installed them on my '95 GS 300 and they work great!!! The only difference is on the original version there is a liitle arm on the shaft that keeps the non-ball end from sliding off the shaft. However, you will see a grove in the shaft. This grove is for the e-clip which is intended for the replacement model. So the bottom line is buy the part number above (make sure the ball is included in the package as some are missing) take off your old shocks and install the new ones with the e-clip. The e-clip is not included however you can buy an assortment at any auto parts place or at home depot. I bought my assortment package at O'Reilly's and the largest one in the package fit like a charm. To hell with the Lexus dealer monopoly on parts. Where there is a will, there is a way. No more hunting for Lexus trunk lift support gas filled shocks. Now you kmow...good luck!

Thanks,

Jon

Today is your lucky day! Although the gas filled trunk lift supports are only thought to be available through the Lexus dealer at a ridiculously high price, there is a little known cross reference with the Acura Legend Hood lift supports. The Pep Boys Part number for the lifts is SG326003 and the OEM brand name is Lift-O-Mat. I just installed them on my '95 GS 300 and they work great!!! The only difference is on the original version there is a liitle arm on the shaft that keeps the non-ball end from sliding off the shaft. However, you will see a grove in the shaft. This grove is for the e-clip which is intended for the replacement model. So the bottom line is buy the part number above (make sure the ball is included in the package as some are missing) take off your old shocks and install the new ones with the e-clip. The e-clip is not included however you can buy an assortment at any auto parts place or at home depot. I bought my assortment package at O'Reilly's and the largest one in the package fit like a charm. To hell with the Lexus dealer monopoly on parts. Where there is a will, there is a way. No more hunting for Lexus trunk lift support gas filled shocks. Now you kmow...good luck!

PS: The Lift-O-Mat OEM Trunk Lift Supports cost about $25 each at Pep Boys.

• 2 weeks later...

I want my trunk to "spring" completely open, not just unlock the latch, when I hit the remote or pull the switch. I have a 2003 GS 300. I can't seem to find anything that will do this. Any suggestions?

You can get it to spring up more than just popping by simply adjusting the torsion rods behind the trunk carpet. To get it to completely open, you'd need to fabricate a linkage and add a gas shock or two.

(Photo courtesy of Neo, from a previous post.)

post-4610-1137916171_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

anyone know how to replace 93 GS trunk shocks? thanks!

Hi,

Did you ever replace the trunk supports? I got a pair from ebay and now am wondering

how I replace the supports without damaging the trunk liner? Can anyone give me some instructions

so I can do this without incident?

Thanks,

E

Hi,

Did you ever replace the trunk supports? I got a pair from ebay and now am wondering

how I replace the supports without damaging the trunk liner? Can anyone give me some instructions

Thanks,

E

Remove the trunk liner.

Hi,

Thanks,

E

Remove the trunk liner.

Done. Thanks. The tiny black X'd looking rivet holders pop off when you twist and pull them. Most came

off without a hitch.

• 3 months later...

I found a website on the internet that sold aftermarket trunk struts for the Lexus GS300.

I am sorry I no longer have the information on the site or the seller, but they were under $50 a pair, as I recall.

The brand/model name is Stabilus Lift-O-Mat.

The website owner claimed they would fit, but the photos did not match my OEM struts, so I was concerned that they would not fit.

Lexus model struts have a little right angle tab that holds one end in place, and the replacement models do not have this little tab.

The seller assured me that they would still work and gave me written instructions as to exactly how they'd go in.

He seemed very familiar with the operation and said he had sold many of them for my exact car with no complaints, so I trusted him.

Turns out they worked just fine.

Although the new struts do not have the same retention tab, they use a split ring system that is far cheaper and works just as well. That right angle tab just makes production easier during initial factory assembly.

The new struts hold the trunk up just fine.

I am very pleased with the struts (both trunk and hood) that I purchased thru ebay in Oct '05, The seller at the time was:

momoscaraposa (frcjd@cox.net)

I paid $55 + 7.50 shipping for the 2 trunk struts... the 2 hood struts were $48 + $1 more for shipping

• 8 months later...

Thanks,

Jon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks,

Jon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PS: The Lift-O-Mat OEM Trunk Lift Supports cost about $25 each at Pep Boys.

uh could you tell me what year on that acura legend? I was gonna get mine from an autozone thats nearby but they keep asking me that

• 2 weeks later...

Hi anybody can comment my case?

My 2005 GS300, 41K miles still in basic warranty, my car shop showed my front/rear struts of driver site are leaking (or I can see oil+duct when I look at through the tire w/o remove the tire), so I sent to Fremont Lexus, who replaced driver site rear strut, tell me the front no leaking but normal worn.

1. shall they replace a pair rather then one at rear driver site?

2. Shall I do a double check on another shop? even though how can I fight for? when turn right sometimes I feel un-smooth.