03 Es300 Rattles

I have an 03 es300 with only 900 miles on it and I am hearing rattles in the dash and in the right rear. Has anyone else had these problem?. I am not to pleased that a 40k car and a lexus to boot should have these problems. I had just turned in a 00 Acura RL with 50,000 miles and never had a problem with cabin noise.

I have an '03 ES300 and I also have a rattle in the right rear. I have found out from Lexus Corporation that there is a service bulletin issued for this problem. I also spoke to my dealer and he told me to bring the car in for the modifcation to eliminate the rattle. He also told me that they have to remove the rear door panel and do something to the insulation to correct it. I don't notice a rattle in the dash though. Do you have the Navigation in your car? I do, so I'm wondering whether cars equipped with this feature is prone to rattling in this area. My car has about 600 miles on it.

Alan

Hi Alan:

Thanks for the info on the rear door rattle. I will contact my Lexus dealership to schedule service. As for the front rattle, yes I have the nav pkg. The noise seens to be coming from on top of the dash near the windshield. I hope that they have a service bulletin for this one. It is quite annoying to have noises coming from the front and rear of the car. This is my first Lexus and I am not satified so far with the quality of this car. I wish now that I went with the Infiniti M45.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with the quality of your car. This is my 3rd. Lexus since 1991 and I'm totally satisfied with the reliability, build quality, performance, quietness of their vehicles.

My brother bought a new Bentley Continental R a couple of years ago and he was plagued with some rattles & squeaks also but these were all eliminated by the dealer as I'm sure yours will be too.

I look at it this way.....An automobile, just as in any piece of complex mechanical equipment can have certain problems that in most cases can be remedied. I agree that this is an annoyance, but I'm sure that other manufacturers such as Infiniti also run into these situations.

Good luck & keep me informed. :rolleyes:

Alan

the rear door rattle is the sound insulation inside that has to be reanchored. It does involve removing the door panel. I have heard in one case the dealership was simply removing the insulation. Doesn't make sence. There is a TSB on the problem, it is also listed in ALLDATA so everyone now knows about it.

I have an 02 and the rattles were more prominent with the extreme cold weather. I never had the car in for the service, and the noise has gone away. It is at 22k miles and the temp is 65°F. I wonder if the insulation has eventually "settled" in.

Sorry, no noise in the front dash, then again, I don't have the NAVI system.

I have now got a few isolated suspension noises (front). There are two TSBs on them, one is for springs and one is for ball joints. To the dealer I go.

steviej

I hear the rattle coming from the right rear door so when the dealer repairs it do they do the left rear door as well? :huh:

Alan

my noise was predominately from the right rear door, too.

I would guess that they do. If they ask which, say both and save yourself a trip later. Figuring....while a professional is attacking the problem....go for broke.

sj

I brought the car to my Lexus dealer this morning and they did their thing.

No more rear door rattles!!! Besides while waiting for the car to be repaired(2 hours) I went into the customers lounge and read the daily newspaper and had a delicious cup of coffee and a danish. Now the car is quiet as a mouse. :D

Alan

steviej: I also noticed that the noise happened mostly when the outside temperature was below 40°F. Maybe you should see your dealer and have him do the repair 'cause as you said the noise didn't happen when it was warmer. It's a free repair besides. ;)

Alan

• 6 years later...

stcist2--what kind of rattles do you have? I noticed you have a 2002 ES--same as mine. The rattling drives me crazy and takes away from the whole "Lexus experience." I get a rattle from the dash and also from the rear windshield (it seems like) and recently one from the front passenger door.

The one that is bothering me the most is the right rear door, apparenly the insulation adhesive has come loose and rattles inside the door. Although it seems that it only happens now that the weather has gotton really cold, I believe that this car was probably in a heated garage all of its life (until now) and the previous owner never realized it. Sometimes I get a small click out of the windshield too, but when the temp outside is 3 I kinda expect some noise. I will probably wait until spring time and pull the door panel and re-glue the insulation. Sorry to hear about all the rattles in your car is it still under warranty? I have 114000 on the odometer and my warranty was up about 4000 miles after I bought the car so I'm on my own, but I have been a profesional mechanic for more than 10 years and fixing cars is a passion of mine so I really don't mind, especially since this is the most exspensive and nicest car I have ever owned.

Mine is not under warranty either. I've got about 95K miles on it. The one that is bothering me right now comes from the front right. I can't tell where it is coming from but it is either the door of the seat belt area.

Taking the rear door panel is pretty easy. I did it recently to fix my window. If you need any help with it feel free to PM me.