What Do We Do For A Living

SpeedRacer959

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm an accountant working for KPMG, which is a big 4 accounting firm. I specifically work in the audit department, meaning I'm out at a client making sure that they're financial statements don't have material misstatements, so that when you invest in a company based on their 10-k reports filed with the SEC, you can rely on those statements because we audited them. We have a ton of clients, but a couple you might recognize that I've personally worked on are VCA Antech and Honda Motors, although I wish Toyota was our client instead :P

I am a nurse, a chef, a maid, an accountant, a psychologist, a teacher, and I have many many other odd jobs.

I'm a stay at home Mama to a Kindergartener, a First Grader and a soon to be 3 year old. And a wifey to "Super Man". Well, almost superman anyway!

Beat That!!

I was from Taiwan, and turned US citizen in 94. I've been living in Atlanta for my entire American life so far.

once was an architect for 5 years, specialized in computer aided design and drafting, then switched profession and became owner of a PC retail business for 10 years. however, since PC business in general turned non-profitable in earlier year 2K because the dominance of big guys like HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Sony... I folded the shop and turned to eBay which was the best career move I've ever made.

now, from my home office, I've been producing and selling high-end rack-mount servers (some linux clustered servers can cost more than an used Lexus) on eBay for 2 years and making a good living out of it. I also export a lot to Europe thanks to eBay listings. primary buyers are small ISP's, web hosts, data centers, and small business whoever want their own web/internet/database servers to be co-located.

eBay is truly amazing! folks are selling and buying anything from 50 cents stuffs to $300K Lamborghini. I bought both my 94 LS400 and 96 SC400 from eBay in 1-week span! I also own a 98 ES300 (My mom is the primary driver), a 93 Mercedes 400SEL (Dad is driving it, and I must say LS400 is a lot better car!), 2 Nissans (Maxima/200SX), and 1 Toyota corolla. whopping 7 cars, you can imaging that paying insurance (close to $1K) every month is truly a nightmare because we also have to include 2 teenager drivers very soon!

I can see we got bunch of good folks here, and I am glad I have jointed the club!

ok wandawoods..

I am lost.. Doesnt make sence? You said that you were a citizen in 94. But you had a business for 10 years.. Still only 03?? But folded? So how does that work out?...I actually lived in Atlanta myself.......

The e-bay thing I dont know about? Hope all is well with that?

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

ok wandawoods..

I am lost.. Doesnt make sence? You said that you were a citizen in 94. But you had a business for 10 years.. Still only 03?? But folded? So how does that work out?...I actually lived in Atlanta myself.......

The e-bay thing I dont know about? Hope all is well with that?

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

I arrived ATL from Taiwan in 85 to get my master in GA Tech. worked for an architecture firm for 5-years till late 91 when I started the PC retail shop. I got my green card in 88, then became US citizen in 94 (you got to wait 5-year min. after green card status to apply citizenship).

eBay is truly a self-contained 'kingdom' on it's own! you got millions of sellers/buyers doing transactions 24x356. I was spectical at first, but now I am truly convinced it could be a GREAT business adventures for anyone if you knew how to do it! I sell and ship servers all-over US map! it's also global, I got lots of oversea buyers because of the ad effects of eBay listings! it's amazing that domestic and international buyers who never met you or phoned you can wire you $10K up front to buy a few servers! honesty, promptness, mainteining a good feedback profile are the keys to become truly profitable adventure.

• 9 months later...

Well, even it is a different year since the last post. I just wanted to respond to this post and also I have a LS not a ES [where this post is at].

I'm a freshman in college as a Pre-Med student majoring in Biology and minor in Genetics, in North Carolina.

And became a U.S. citizen 2 months ago or was it last month! Don't remember [have been busy with school work] :unsure:

I bought the Lexus [well my parents did] because I went with Acura first and wanted something else, a Lexus. Because both of the cars are reliable, still have the Acura. :rolleyes: But, I had no idea that Lexus is going to introduce me to LOC. B) 'Now I hope I get to live and pass my LS down to my childern'.

:cheers:

yeah, i think it should be in the general discussions forum.

i'm a Network+, Linux+, A+, Security+ and LPI linux certified network engineer with BS in computer sciense and currently working for city univercity of new york and studying for MBA in CUNY and MCSE and RHCE and also in search for a better job.

Since my graduation in 01, i've been working as an analyst at a brokerage house. Don't particularly enjoy the job. Lately have been thinking of applying to a graduate school.

I am a coop student at the University of Waterloo in Ontario majoring in Actuarial Science. Waterloo is known to be one of the best Actuarial schools in the world. What is Actuarial Science, you may ask? Well, Actuarial Science is the complicated mathematics behind risk management. Most commonly, Actuaries are used in large insurance companies to determine the rates they are going to charge to match their exposures. They are the people that are making the rates rise so rapidly in Ontario :P But don't hate them . . . it's not their fault. They are only matching the rates to what the insruance company should expect to pay.

Anyways, at the moment I am working downtown Toronto at an insurance company headquartered there. I will be returning to school in the Fall.

Actuarial Science is very difficult, but rewarding. The Canadian jobs Almanac lists "Actuary" as the second-best job one can have, ranking just under "judge" (based on stress and compensation I believe).

Regards,

Bryan

1- I wake up.

2- Decide whether I had enough sleep.

3- Decision was that I need a bit more.

4- Turn over and go back to sleep.

I'm retired.......yay!!! :D

Production engineer. Specialty is plastics - thermosets 2 part epoxy systems, low pressure impingement mixing and thermoplastic injection molding. I've done Nylon 66 zytel (dupont) on Kraus Maffei and currently work with PBT Noryl and PBO Valox as well as TPE Santoprene Elastomers on Nissei and Sumitomo presses from 75 to 350 tons.

I focus on process and troubleshooting. Preventive Maintenance, on-call support, training, spare parts and *BLEEP*ing on fires.

I suppose this is an off question and somewhat personal , Although we are in a class of our own , Curious !!!! By the way I am a Chef :blink:

i am a pharmacist but a few years ago i quit & got a job as an estimator at a lexus body shop for 2 years. i worked my way up to management but i eventually got back into pharmacy after we moved from texas to north carolina. i am still a lot more interested in cars than pharmacy.

i am a pharmacist but a few years ago i quit & got a job as an estimator at a lexus body shop for 2 years. i worked my way up to management but i eventually got back into pharmacy after we moved from texas to north carolina. i am still a lot more interested in cars than pharmacy.

That goes double for me...

I do make ignition coils though...

... not that it matters. Automobile industry is... well...

it could be worse I guess. Better than the alternative.

thanks for sharing that Alan......you just made my day tomorrow seem all that much more fun. :chairshot:

my dad recently retired and likes to do things like show up at my door with a fishing pole in one hand a tape player in the other playing the theme from the old Andy Griffith Show. His timing is impecable because I am usually just leaving for work. He says its payback for something....I don't listen at that point.

steviej