What Do We Do For A Living

SpeedRacer959

Lol Alan :lol: I work in Information Technology for Sears Canada B) One of my major responsibilities (and my teams) is to print the credit card statements for all of our customers.....all 11.5 Million of them :blink: Our department runs 24/7 & the shift work can get to you......but it a pretty good place to work & the boss is cool so it pays the bills ;)

:cheers:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We old guys paid our dues in the work force and now it's time to pursue our dreams that we thought about all these many years. I like traveling (especially in my fairly new Lexus), around the country, but it seems I'm always flying to these destinations and then renting a car. Nowhere have I found a car rental agency that'll rent a Lexus though.

Stevie......don't worry you'll get to that retirement age soon enough and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as your dad and me.

Here's a picture of me in my other car:

BMW.jpg

Just a Design Engineer at Hamilton Sundstrand was Hamilton Standard. Makes commercial & military engines, propellers ECS, submarine stuff, spacesuit, shuttle items, etc.

Nothing fancy...it pays the bills for now before 90% is outsourced (like 20% of the USA right now).

Hey Alan,

Nice car, but that ain't Canarsie, or Rockaway.

Some of us retired folk don't learn and we're just as busy with professional work, but the difference is in calling the shots about what you do and when you do it.

I'm still amazed about how many young people have a lexus and how much they're attached to them...

I'm the Executive Director of Public Relations for West Valley City (second-biggest city in Utah, suburb of Salt Lake City). I'm not sure how I ended up here, but it's grown on me. :)

Business Systems Analyst for second largest investment bank. Design/create/run/analyze applications and reports from data taken from many internal and external software platforms to help senoir manangment make business decisions. I.T. stuff is fun but rather work on my cars. :cheers:

I'm in West Valley City (Worst Valley), Utah too! Not by choice at the moment. I'm a full time student, part time artist, MR. Mom with my daughter, and big time vehicle enthusiast!

I'm presently working for LDS Hospital as a Surgical Resource Coordinator and Laser Safety Officer. Before that I worked as an Anesthesia Monitoring Tech sticking Art lines on heart patients and setting up heart/trauma rooms and a CNA. Before woking in the medical industry, I worked in many other fields with many layoffs- I just figured that everyone would have to get medical care sometime. I was in the Electrical/plumbing, video duplication, auto painting, store remodeling, sign making, shoe sales, restaraunt, warehouse, car detail, lawn care, cardboard box making, worked for the state in Recovery Services (sucked), and I'm sure I forgot some more but who cares- you get the point! Jobs kind of suck here. Thats why I'm still in school to start my own business.

The only reason I bought my Lexus is because my ex took my 4Runner(that I dumped $8k into), and I had to sell my heavily modified Tundra to a guy in Alaska to pay for my Lawyer, and needed a good source of transportation that I would be more familiar with (I've owned just about every Toyota they make, and love them a lot). I found many faster, funner, same priced cars, but my 97' was more family oriented and still good on gas. Paid $10,000 with 110k miles, two sets of wheels/tires, very clean. I'm more of a truck guy, and miss having a bed to throw things into, and take fishing- not to mention the poor visibility to the traffic ahead of you on the freeway. Anyway, I'm learning to cope with my car experiences.

Supermarket checker/office cashier at an "upscale" grocery chain in Orange County, CA. Or should I say "The OC"...haha! It was my first job when I got out of high school and started college. 15 years later and I'm still there. I actually LIKE it! :wub:

Excuse me, would you like paper or plastic? :chairshot:

DG

I'm a Design Engineer I for a large, global semiconductor industry which specializes in lithography systems for manufacturing complex integrated circuits. We provide a range of support from product applications knowledge to round-the-clock service support. This is my first job since graduated from college 3 years ago (thus having stayed at it for 3 yrs), and so far things are looking on the up and up.

When I don't want to think about work, I can be found at the local skateboard park shreddin' it up ;) :D I have been skateboarding for the past 17 yrs (I'm 28 now), and this is pretty much the only sport I've ever loved getting involved in. This also explains my screen name :rolleyes:

Attached a pic of me tearing up a skatepark in Cape Cod MA (this was taken sometime in 1999) :)

I work at a small engineering firm that custom fabricates automation devices. I work both in the field helping techs install them(most of the time) and in the office doing paper work(creating drawing indexes).

I've heard little bits and pieces of what people do for a living, but here's your spot to spill it w/out being pretentious. :D I'm sure we would all really like to know. B) Plus it can't hurt for our networking. :P

I'll go first:

I'm a safety consultant for large fortune 500 and 100 manufacturing companies. I've done work at Honda, Square D, SC Johnson, and many other companies for specifically OSHA's regulation 1910.147 (Lockout-Tagout compliance). We have a website ESC Services , but most (99%) of our referrals come through word of mouth, so the website doesn't have to be too flashy. (if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears <_< )

I'm 24 and the VP of the company and 50% owner. I've been doing this line of work for almost 5 years now.

I recently bought a Lexus because we travel a ton and I needed a nice car that's reliable and not too flashy to give clients rides in. The ES fit the description perfectly. :D

I'm a University professor teaching in the Manufacturing Technology area of one of the state universities in Kansas. I teach CAD and several other courses dealing with manufacturing and manufacturing materials. I have been teaching for over 25 years snd currently drive a 2001 IS300. I am looking forward to buying one of the new 2006 GS430's when they are available.

Wow, I was 32 when I got my LS. I could only dream of owning such a fine car at such a young age!

I'm a Realtor in the Palm Springs area for the last 7 years. Before that I was a Snap-On-Tools dealer and before that I was an auto mechanic, mostly electronic repairs and diagnostics.

I look forward to owning my next Lexus in about 4 years or so. I'll get another slightly used one.

Ok, it's not too difficult to figure out my job--lol. I am working as a

pharmacist for a New England regional supermarket chain. Been a pharmacist

for past 27 years, working for a variety of chain drug stores. The job is good,

rewarding, and I definitely meet a diverse group of patients.

As for ""bdonkersqoed"---- my son graduated as an Actuarial

Science major in 2002. good field-- my congrats to you (I know how

difficult the courses are, but it's paid off nicely. He took a job with the

company he interned with, and he's continually studying towards a fellowship.

As for amf1932---- thank's for giving us guy's hope of stepping back

and retiring some day. I did like the 4-part "Day in the Life of Alan"--hmmm

SLEEP.

PharmGuy (Paul)

P.S.------"Made my money with legal drugs" B) :cheers:

Hey Alan, that is cool that the pic was taken in Minnetonka. I don't live too far from there, so it's fun to see MN bein' represented on here. :D

I think we all are pretty attached to our Lexuses for many reasons. I think it's great that Lexus attracts such a diverse age group. :) I am really glad that I bought the Lex because it has proven to be the best car I have owned (and this is my third, so I have two others to compare it to). :)

Ok, it's not too difficult to figure out my job--lol. I am working as a

pharmacist for a New England regional supermarket chain. Been a pharmacist

for past 27 years, working for a variety of chain drug stores. The job is good,

rewarding, and I definitely meet a diverse group of patients.

As for ""bdonkersqoed"---- my son graduated as an Actuarial

Science major in 2002. good field-- my congrats to you (I know how

difficult the courses are, but it's paid off nicely. He took a job with the

company he interned with, and he's continually studying towards a fellowship.

As for amf1932---- thank's for giving us guy's hope of stepping back

and retiring some day. I did like the 4-part "Day in the Life of Alan"--hmmm

SLEEP.

PharmGuy (Paul)

P.S.------"Made my money with legal drugs" B) :cheers:

Wow . . . another Actuary out there :P

Those fellowship exams are brutal. I think the Society of Actuaries' goal is to fail students so that the job field remains competitive (and it is REALLY competitive!)

Just out of curiousity, which field is your son in? Property and Casualty? Life? Pensions? Consulting?

I am currently in the Property and Casualty field, and I think that is where I want to end up when I am done school. Car insurance interests me more than life insurance . . .

Regards,

Bryan

I'm the guy who started a similar topic in the general discussions , I am a CHEF and have been in the biz for 28 years I am currently working at a beautiful private golf club 20 mins. north of the twin cities [ ANOTHER LEXUS IN MINNESOTA ] Originally from WISCONSIN - GO PACKERS !!!

post-7-1087579803.jpg

Hey bdonkersqoed,

My son's in the automotive rating department of his employer. He's responsible

for review and rate adjustments for approx 8 states in the US. He got into the

automotive side after being hired, but he was doing stats and probability as

an intern. And, Yes--- those fellowship exams are brutal. We're awaiting the

results of the National Exam he took in May for the next level. Nice, cause

he gets an automatic boost in rate with passing score.

I'll let you know how he did, in July. Meantime--- good luck with your

education----there are plenty of good jobs available.

PharmGuy (Paul)