Frequency Of Engine Oil Change

wandawoods

5w-30 Mobile1 full synthetic is in both my 1UZ-FE (97 LS4 / 96 SC4).

realistically, how often should I change engine oil, primarily under city driving condition? also, does life-in-use really matters?

I am under the impression that 'full synthetic' lasts longer than 3K/3-month often called for by those oil-change chains...

May I guess that you drive the Corolla/ 200SX and they drive the LS and Merc? ;)

let's just say the premium is high enough to cover car loan for TWO spanking new 04 LS430...

they share the toyota, and 200sx hatchback is my 'pick-up truck'.

I am a big fan of Mobil 1 since 1990 : when I bought my first Toyota PU 2WD. At 250K, its still running. I started with Mobil 1 - since day one, every 3K, then every 5K...then 8K - no major engine trouble. Since then I have added two LS400s. Ironically, the PU oil filter (which costs 1/3rd of LS400) works just fine for the LS400. On the LSs, I started with Mobil One every 5K, then 10K ... now once a year, every 20K or so. Even at 20K the oil flows out the drain with good viscosity than regular motor oil after 1500 miles! But don't follow my example! Just don't loose sleep if you missed the 3K mark with Mobil One! Rumor is that Mobil One tends to eat the crankshaft seals - I did develop a little leak in my Toyota at 200K. Can anybody else opine on this leak issue?

no problem for me yet

but i'm still switching to 10w instead of 5w-30

as to the oil life i think it does matter, with regular oil u have to change it every 6 month.

I wouldn't wait until 20k to change it. It costs so little to change the oil why take a chance on waiting?

As for time, my rule of thumb is one month for every 1k miles. So if you don't drive 5,000 miles within 5 months, change it anyways.

Definately keep the oil changed in your ES300 as the 3.0 V6 has a gelling problem.

I gave used Mobil 1 for a long time in all my cars. I usually change the oil every 6 months regardless of the milage. I rarely go much more than 3000 - 5000 miles.

I respectfully disagree on using the 10w-40. I would use the 5w-30 recommended by Lexus. The 10w-40 will give you worse fuel economy. I have used 5w-30 in cars with over 300,000 miles withour any problem. Also, I have never heard of any seal problems related to Mobil 1.

One nice thing is they can't really raise the price of Mobil 1 due to rising oil prices can they.

VB:

Sorry man, I have to disagree, 10W won't worsen your fuel economy in any way. I'm running 10W on my SC, and the only difference I can really see, is the oil returns to the pan slower than on my LS.

VMF's recommendation of switching to 10W isn't a really bad one. THe thicker Viscosity will keep your engine parts lubed longer, but it's really not needed if your engine isn't leaking anywhere.

I believe Mobil 1 should be offering a High-Mileage Synthetic blend very soon, if not already. I'd recommend that, but not absolutely necessary.

Now I change my oil every 6k, and as the company I work for recommends don't keep your oil sitting in the pan for more than 5 months(Idle/not-driven). It will become thick and gritty, and it may cause the engine to stall.

since we drive SC4 so littte, 3K in last 10-months, does oil-life matter? in other words, can 10-month old oil be a problem?

absolutely.

If a car is not driven alot, stagnent the oil is prone to acid buildup which can damage internal parts. Also if the car is not routinely driven as normal operating temps for an extended periods of time (an hour or two) then there can also be a build up of condensation in the engine block/oil. Water and oil don't mix, the water vapor can settle in the oil rather than be burned off. This leads to gelling and/or further acid build up in the oil.

Suggested change every 5k miles or at least 2x per year. (several references have gone as far as saying change it every 4 months).

steviej

thanks guys for all your inputs! :rolleyes:

I think I will go by 6-mon rule since we won't drive greater than 1K per mon. on average, so mileage rule will not apply. 10w for my SC, and 5w for the LS.

as for the big headache from my ES...well, can oil burning and blue smokes be the result of 'gelling' which causes damages to valve stem/gasket?