1999 Tranny Problems

Hi all, I purchased a 1999 es300 with 77k miles 3 weeks ago. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago. When exiting an off ramp the tranny surged and then quit on me. The engine would just rev if it was put in drive or reverse, it wasn't engaging. I had it towed to the dealer. They told me that they fixed it and the problem was a clogged filter. Has anyone heard of this problem? Can a clogged filter cause that problem on the tranny? I'm picking it up tommorow. Should i bring the car to Aamco to have them check it out? Any input will be appreciated.

What is the service history on the vehicle if the transmission has been serviced before? Do you sitll have any factory warranty or an extended warranty on the car? A clogged filter is possible depending on where & how the car was driven (ie: extreme dusty conditions). What type of fluid was replaced in the tranny? some later model ES need Toyota type IV (type 4) fluid and NOTHING else. The filter usually needs to be just cleaned as opposed to being replaced as they are reusable. Let us know how the car is once you picked it up & had a chance to drive it. Welcome to the club by the way B)

:cheers:

if the 99 is the same as my 98 it has a stainless steel filter and does not need to be replaced, it needs to be cleaned; however for $23 it is cleaner and easier to just replace. It is up to you is it worth the time and effort to clean with starting fluid or brake clean (+your time)?

I replace mine everyother tranny fluid service.

According to the maintenace book the car was last :cries: serviced at 66,000 miles at crown lexus in ontario, ca. The car was driven in so cal so i don't think it went through any heavy duty action. I went to pick up the car this morning and after about ten miles the same problem happened and I had to get towed back. I purchased the car at a used car dealership so the only warranty is through them, not Lexus. I'll keep you posted. Could the tranny be trashed after only 77k miles?

According to the maintenace book the car was last :cries: serviced at 66,000 miles at crown lexus in ontario, ca. The car was driven in so cal so i don't think it went through any heavy duty action. I went to pick up the car this morning and after about ten miles the same problem happened and I had to get towed back. I purchased the car at a used car dealership so the only warranty is through them, not Lexus. I'll keep you posted. Could the tranny be trashed after only 77k miles?

Sure, it's possible, but not very likely IMHO. In order to trash the tranny after only 77 K miles, you'd need to have a combinatino of extremely abusive use and complete neglect of maintenance. Granted, those two things often go together, so you can't rule it out.

Of course, if you still have a warranty from the dealer where you bought the car, you should be covered. Even though most used car warranties aren't very comprehensive, most of them will cover any major transmission work. Since you've only owned it 3 weeks, I'd take it right back where you bought it and tell them you want it fixed or replaced with an equal or newer car.

Good luck.

What type of transmission fluid does your owners manual say should be used roam? You have to be careful as you might be only able to use a certain kind of Toyota ATF called Type IV (type 4) fluid & nothing else. If it dosen't state that fluid specifically, then you can go with synthetic/ B)

:cheers:

OK i didn;t read this properly the first time

Where did you buy the car ( a dealer is not very precise)

DO you have warrenty?

The filters only plug when a clutch is slipping either from abuse or a solenoid not engaging or a valve not getting enough pressure to apply a clutch properly.

Once it starts it needs to have a flush to remove all debris or it will return and clog the filter again and cause the clutches to burn out completly and shortly.

You may have had a low oil situation and the tranny is now pretty much shot ,cleaning the filter again in such a short time will return it to the road but you have destroyed the clutches as i am sure you tried to rev the engine a few times to get it to move but it wouldn't thus causing tehm to slip beyond belief and die.

You need a new tranny

OK i didn;t read this properly the first time

Where did you buy the car ( a dealer is not very precise)

DO you have warrenty?

The filters only plug when a clutch is slipping either from abuse or a solenoid not engaging or a valve not getting enough pressure to apply a clutch properly.

Once it starts it needs to have a flush to remove all debris or it will return and clog the filter again and cause the clutches to burn out completly and shortly.

You may have had a low oil situation and the tranny is now pretty much shot ,cleaning the filter again in such a short time will return it to the road but you have destroyed the clutches as i am sure you tried to rev the engine a few times to get it to move but it wouldn't thus causing tehm to slip beyond belief and die.

You need a new tranny

i bought it from a small used car dealer in westminister, ca. It came with a 6 month warranty. I did exactly as you said as far as revving it and the tranny was toast. The dealer put in a used tranny, he says only with 35k on it and it seems to be running ok now. I dont recall what the rpms were at when i was at certain speeds before but its turning 3000 rpm at 70 mph. Is that normal?