I Took A 6 To 1 Bet.....

TexasLexus94

I recently posted a question regarding a rapping noise occurring under the dashboard/console on my '94 LS. The noise caused my A/C to stop, which isn't the best idea in Houston in the summertime. I only received one response, which surprised me-maybe it's an unknown problem?

So I took my car to the neighborhood Indie, who, after 3 hours, determined that the "Servo" and related gears in my A/C and Heat distribution system were malfunctioning. Sort of like the highway was open, but the off-ramps were closed. He said that there was a broken plastic piece that had fallen off the gears, and that it was futile to just replace the plastic piece-the whole system needed to be reworked. Including the evaporator, which seemed odd. After negotiation, we came to a price of $1,170. I was disturbed, since I had spent the previous weekend trying to figure out what was wrong, and had seen the 2 cogs on the gears which seemed to be missing a connection but-hey-what do I know? So I gave the guy $550 for a deposit to buy the parts. Since it would take several days to obtain the parts, I told the guy that I would need to have use of the Lexus until it was ready to be repaired.

So there I am, driving the car home, sweating like a pig. So I decided to turn on the A/C for grins-It was running perfectly. Arctic air. Upon arrival in the garage, I tested the heat-Sweat City. Perfect. Huh? So I called Indie, who said that "the piece could break anytime, the system will run and then break". So, upon arriving home, I disassembled the dash, saw the "plastic piece" he had reinstalled, and wondered why the piece might fail. I subsequently found a loose wire-round connector electric type-sitting right in the way of the gears. It was definitely in the way of the operation of the gears to change from heat to cooling. So I bent it out of the way of the rotating gears. I have no idea what the loose wire does-or should be doing.

So I called the Indie, and after a prolonged negotiation, I paid only for his labor time-$195. Here I am-I bet $195 against $1,200 that the system will work as is. I just took the Lexus for a spin, and it's still working fine.

So here is the question, LOC members-Was a 6-1 bet worth it-or will I lose the bet?

Comments appreciated-especially from LOC pros.

Sure the system could break again, it could break again if he replaces it too. Just because it could doesnt mean it will, I say pay the $1200 if it breaks again. Why do it now "just in case". Its not like we're talking a life or death component here, if it fails you gotta sweat it for a day, big deal.

Smart move

• 1 month later...

It's update time. Please read my original post.

My A/C has been running better than Secretariat on steroids. I have about 1-1/2 months of hot summer to go, and my 6 to 1 bet looks like a lock. Those of you who have a trustworthy Indie need to give him a tip next time-Mine is a dishonest crook. Live and learn.

BTW, the loose wire-which I think was from a broken glove compartment light-actually interrupted the servo when it changed from outside to inside air circulation-causing the plastic piece to fall off. Now, to be safe, I don't bother to use the inside circulation-A Lexus system is too powerful to worry about it, and why mess with success?

It's update time. Please read my original post.

My A/C has been running better than Secretariat on steroids. I have about 1-1/2 months of hot summer to go, and my 6 to 1 bet looks like a lock. Those of you who have a trustworthy Indie need to give him a tip next time-Mine is a dishonest crook. Live and learn.

BTW, the loose wire-which I think was from a broken glove compartment light-actually interrupted the servo when it changed from outside to inside air circulation-causing the plastic piece to fall off. Now, to be safe, I don't bother to use the inside circulation-A Lexus system is too powerful to worry about it, and why mess with success?

TL94,

Agree totally - the LS cooling is very good too and don't need the recirc either!!

You win the bet - Thanks for the report!!

I've cut n pasted this one to my files for reference!!

:cheers:

It's too bad you don't want to visit one of our Sponsors in the DFW Area. Yes it is far, but it might be worth it, if your Indie can't solve the problem.

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to update my experience with the dishonest Indie, who wanted $1,200 to repair my A/C on the '94 LS. My last post noted that I had gone over a month without any problems after paying the crook less than $200.

Well now, it's almost a year. And I've relocated to Las Vegas, where it's 115 degrees right now. And the cold A/C still blows me out of the cabin on "High". This forum has helped me immensely. Thanks

Just wanted to update my experience with the dishonest Indie, who wanted $1,200 to repair my A/C on the '94 LS.  My last post noted that I had gone over a month without any problems after paying the crook less than $200.

Well now, it's almost a year.  And I've relocated to Las Vegas, where it's 115 degrees right now.  And the cold A/C still blows me out of the cabin on "High".  This forum has helped me immensely.  Thanks

TL94,

I haven't been on this board in a long time....when I saw the title of this thread I couldn't believe my eyes.. :blink::blink:

Glad you're doing well and good luck in Vegas..... :cheers: