Thumping/clunking Nose

Harley

This issue may have been addressed at another time, but I could not find exactly what I was looking for in the forum. Just recently, my husband and I noticed that when the windows down and accelerating above 40 mph, we hear a loud, almost deafening thumping noise from the back of the car. The closest thing I can describe it is like the propellers on a helicopter when they are rotating. (The car has almost 7000 miles on it).

The noise cannot be heard when the windows are up. Only when one or more windows are rolled down. In addition, from the outside, nothing can be heard. My husband and I did an experiment where he stood on the side of the road and I drove past him at 45 mph to see if he could hear anything out of the ordinary. He heard nothing strange.

Any ideas? Of course I'm going to call my dealer about it, but just wanted to touch base with the forum "experts" before I did. Thanks in advance.

-Harley

If its what tta says then my ES does the same thing when the windows are down, its the design of the windows creates a buffeting, its deafening because its !Removed! with the pressure inside the cabin.

If you really enjoy driving with the windows down (some do, I don't) I would suggest you get some ventvisors they should help. I'm sure Lexus sells them, if not www.weathertech.com does.

We were just on vacation with some of my fiance's family and they always had the windows down in the back, drove me NUTS!

With just one window down, especially the back one, it sounds like a tornado. If you put both windows down on either side, it will not make the noise near as bad. I roll all my windows down when cruising down the road and there's not much problem.

the car talk guys, tom and ray, addressed this issue last week. cars today are styled very areodynamically. when you put the windows down, it causes a breakup in the smooth flowing pattern of the air moving over the car, causing these sounds. that is why the cars gett better gas mileage at frewway speeds with windows up and air conditioner on, than with windows down and air off.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB or solution present for this problem at the dealership? The noise is deafening and it's almost impossible to drive with only the rear windows open. I can't believe they didn't catch this when testing the car. It appears to be a major design flaw.

I have found this problem annoying with MY RX300 -The air passes over the opening and causes a suction. My solution is that if I open the front window I crack open one of the rear windows. THis equalizes the pressure and relives the noise problem. Same thing goes for the moonroof.

There's no fix for this aside from opening the front windows? That's just insane. What if the driver doesn't want his windows open and the people in the back seat do? Does that mean we all have to become deafened by that horrendous noise?

Forum seems pretty dead.