Lighter Doesn't Work.. I Need For Phone Charger...

Please Help... I am going on an 8 hour trip and I am going to need to charge my phone on the road. I know I have other options, but what could it be that is making my lighter NOT WORK? Please Help.... :( I have a 1996 GS300...

check your fuse also never plug your phone charger into the cig lighter its not made for it causing the fuse to blow

What in Gods name do you think it's made for? I don't know where you came up with that comment. :wacko:

check your fuse also never plug your phone charger into the cig lighter its not made for it causing the fuse to blow

What in Gods name do you think it's made for? I don't know where you came up with that comment. :wacko:

fyi, the cigarette lighter is designed only for the cig lighter and not for a phone charger. when it is used incorrectly many times it will blow a fuse, now inside the armrest that is made for an outlet like the phone charger. so before u say another stupid comment like this do your homework

fyi, the cigarette lighter is designed only for the cig lighter and not for a phone charger. when it is used incorrectly many times it will blow a fuse, now inside the armrest that is made for an outlet like the phone charger. so before u say another stupid comment like this do your homework

Before you call me stupid, pal, get some experience in the automotive field.

For your particular information, the cigarette lighter and the power outlet are ON THE SAME CIRCUIT AND FUSE. There is no way in this or any other world that either has a difference in function.

Maybe you should do some homework?

You can clearly see this in the attached electrical diagram, direct from the service manual; that is, if it's not to difficult to understand.

I don't give uninformed advice. There are enough other people in the world who don't know what they're talking about.

lightera.pdf

Thank you DCFish. I appreciate the respect most people on this board have for good information.

Hey, we all make mistakes. No problem. I just get a little :censored: when someone tells me I don't know what's going on. I mean, it'd be different if I actually didn't! B)

Not sure where the location of your socket is but if you can access the rear of it and test for power @ the connection to make sure there is power going into it then you'll know what's the next route you need to go.

1. If there is power @ the wire, just go to your local automotive store and pick up a new socket and replace it. 3 bucks and 15 minutes and you're back in business.

2. If there are no power coming from the connection then there is only one simpliest option I can think of. Find a constant 12V source anywhere in your vehicle not sure what color usually yello or red if I can recall but don't count me on it. Use your Volt meter to test the wire with the ignition off and key out. WHen you find 12v tap into that wire with your desire inline fuse and tap back into your cigarette lighter. Assuming that there were no previous problem with your current socket you should be up and running other wise go back to option 1.

BTW I would cut away the stock wire away from your new connection just in case there's an opening along the stock wirings.

• 2 weeks later...

Before you call me stupid, pal, get some experience in the automotive field.

For your particular information, the cigarette lighter and the power outlet are ON THE SAME CIRCUIT AND FUSE. There is no way in this or any other world that either has a difference in function.

Maybe you should do some homework?

You can clearly see this in the attached electrical diagram, direct from the service manual; that is, if it's not to difficult to understand.

I don't give uninformed advice. There are enough other people in the world who don't know what they're talking about.

there was just a thread started on this subject on clublexus.com and apparantly the guys over there are agreeing with me that the cig lighter is not made for anything besides the lighter. i got this information from the dealership also, so with or with out your diagram u could be wrong buddy........

Believe anything you want. I am a trained electronics engineer. I've been in the business for more years than I can count, there is no error here. Common sense should prevail when you look at the diagram. If one doesn't fully understand electricity and circuits, what does their opinion matter?

I'm not trying to make you out to be incorrect, or anyone else to be. I just present the facts as they are.

Many people have opinions about many things. Many people are uninformed, misled, or otherwise lacking all the information or experience they need to make an acurate assessment of a given situation. Don't be one of these people. Talk to the people who know, the people with experience and education; not just those with opinions.

If a dealership informed you incorrectly, that's unfortunate. Whomever told you the lighter outlet should not be used for any other purpose, clearly, was incorrect. Perhaps they do not fully understand electrical circuits, or perhaps they were just telling you something that someone else told them. It's unfortunate when we seek information, often our sources are innacurate.

take out the panel that holds the lighter (very easy)and check that it is connected if it is check the line with a multimeter if you see power to it then the problem is the little diod on the cigaret lighter itself anotehr easy fix just time consumming .