Power Steering Valve On 91

You are looking for an air control valve. It is mounted on the passenger side of the PS pump and is downward facing in about the 7:30 position. You can get the part from Toyota, but I found Irontoad.com cheaper by about $20. Good luck!

You are looking for an air control valve. It is mounted on the passenger side of the PS pump and is downward facing in about the 7:30 position. You can get the part from Toyota, but I found Irontoad.com cheaper by about $20. Good luck!

Absolutely correct!!!

Normally a $95 part.......so anything less is good!

I just replaced the air regulator valve assembly on my 93 LS400 - my mechanic cross referenced parts between Toyota and Lexus and found that the Toyota Tercel uses the same valve assembly - Part # 17630-16040 - $92.00 over the counter at Toyota in Houston, Texas.

Good Luck!

Is this the common problem that needs to be fixed in regards to the powersteering leak? With the help of a friend who knows about cars, i am going to try and fix this myself. A couple questions, A: is it possible without a special tool and B: do i need any other parts to replace.

If someone could give a quick go over as to what to do to fix this, I would definately appreciate it. Its amazing that everyone has nearly the same problem. I am not interested in replacing the alternator, even though I have a feeling it has been leaked on, becuase I get the white smoke. Is that ok too?

SOrry for all the questions, I appreciate all the advice you guys give, and you guys have made me enjoy fixing things for the first time in my car. Hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew. (but my friend is really good at cars)

almighty if you have started your fix on it, i'd love to hear how it is going or went. Good luck wiht itl

Here's a link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...36&hl=air+valve

You can just plug the two connections leading out - this would affect you steering @ idle though.

The valve is letting PS fluid pass up and into your valves........this is why your getting the puffs of smoke......

• 1 year later...

If you plug the two connections, you said it will affect the idle, If I do that will something else go wrong eventually?

almighty if you have started your fix on it, i'd love to hear how it is going or went. Good luck wiht itl

Here's a link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...36&hl=air+valve

You can just plug the two connections leading out - this would affect you steering @ idle though.

The valve is letting PS fluid pass up and into your valves........this is why your getting the puffs of smoke......

Plugged mine a couple of years ago cause i was too cheap to buy the new valve. :pirate: Plug the two vacumn lines - one at the intake manifold and one on the throttle body. I replaced the valve with a bolt that had matching threads. If the valve is bad, the high pressure makes it almost impossible to leave the valve on and try to plug the two lines coming out.

Haven't really noticed any difference in idle. The valve is designed to increase idle at low speed when the steering wheel is turned to prevent the RPM from dropping too low (or stalling out) because of the additional load on the engine. As i said, i haven't had that problem or really seen any difference. :)

• 6 months later...

Thanks to this and several other posts on this subject which helped me tremendously. I thought it only fair to share my success and methods to maybe help the next in line. My 94 LS400 started blowing puffs of white smoke on start up and continuing to do so while at idle but not as bad. After reading many posts, I decided it was either the air control valve (idle control valve) or one of the coil packs. I bought both parts. Air control valve I got for $80 at a toyota dealership (part# 17630-16040) and the coil pack was $39.99 at Autozone (part#C903 i think). Got home, pulled plugs on each side to check for unburnt gas which would tell me it was the coil pack. All plugs looked fine. For those who haven't pulled the plugs before, they are in the middle of the valvle cover. To get to them...remove the plastic piece towards the front of the engine, the one between the valve cover and the intake and the one running down the middle of the valve cover.(this is for the driver's side, passenger side is the same but you must also remove the air filter and tubing leading up to the engine) You will need a 10mm socket for most bolts, a 5/8 spark plug socket, and a 17mm wrench for the air control valve.

The air control valve can be located from pictures on various posts. I found it by following the two small hoses leading from the intake down to it. It is screwed into the bottom of the power steering pump below the power steering pump resevoir. I first tried to access it from the top only to have a difficult time and almost started removing the power steering pump resevoir. Don't bother with all of this. Take the large plastic under belly completely off with the 10mm socket and access it from the bottom. Find a short 17mm wrench and a good light. BEWARE...fluid will pour out on you when you get the valve out. It covered my right side.. =) Lovely feeling at 2am with work closing in at 8am and no sleep. Anyhow, the valve is a simple unscrew and replace then replace the rubber hoses. You might need pliers for the hoses, I pulled them off and reattached with just my hands.

PS. I knew it was in fact the air control valve as when I removed it, the center piece creating the valve close off fell out and there was fluid in the hoses leading to the intake.

Good luck. Hope this helps the next person.

Nikk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nikk,

I'm in the Atlanta area too. What Toyota dealership did you get the air control valve from? I called Cobb County Toyota parts dept. For part number 17630-16040 they quoted me $102.35. He told me it was for a Toyota Tercel. I never mentioned it was for my 92 Lexus LS 400. I told him that it's available elsewhere for $70-$90 and he told me 'no way.' I guess Toyota thinks they are Lexus now. Where did you get it?

The air control valve, part # 17630-16040, is available at www.toyotaworld.com for $70.93. This is Champion Toyota. I believe they are in Houston.

When you order it, tell them you are ordering it for a Toyota. The same part costs $80.38 if you indicate you are buying it for a Lexus.

I bought the part from the toyota dealership on cobb pkwy north of 285 in the middle of all the other dealerships. My brother in law has an auto transport business and car lot so I buy under his company at jobber prices. Sounds like champion is cheaper but shipping from TX might get you. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't checked back on my post. Good luck. I just bought new tires and found out the tie rod end is bad so they couldn't align the car. Now I'm diving into the front suspension and replacing all struts and most bushings/ball joints.

• 3 months later...

I replaced the air control valve for my powersteering. It was simple but not my powersteering is making the noise like it would when it is low. I filled it, almost overfilled. A lot of bubbles. Is there a way that you have to bleed the system after you put the valve in?

I replaced the air control valve for my powersteering. It was simple but not my powersteering is making the noise like it would when it is low. I filled it, almost overfilled. A lot of bubbles. Is there a way that you have to bleed the system after you put the valve in?

Yes. Jack up the front wheels to unload them and then slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock until system is quiet.

If you don't, eventually the system will bleed through the normal course of driving, but it is hard on the pump.

• 4 months later...
If you plug the two connections, you said it will affect the idle, If I do that will something else go wrong eventually?

Here's a link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;hl=air+valve

Here's a link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;hl=air+valve

I Plugged the two hoses and I'm still getting smoke on start up