Does The Es Use More Rpm At Higher Speeds?

AxlxA

i watched a top gear video last week and they did the new Audi A8 disel, they were able to do 800miles in ONE TANK OF GAS. about 45mpg total. THAT IS INSANE. Jeremy was giving some tips on how to be gas efficient.

1) aerodynamics: close all ur windows, reduce drag

2) turn off air conditioning: MAJOR gas eater

3) try not to listen to music, if must, listen to radio

4) keep RPM below 2000.

so i was driving from San francisco to Davis, about 80miles. i was attempting to drive below 2000rpm but it was impossible. Jeremy was doing about 50mph going under 2000rpm but i found that it was not possible to drive that slow with all the cars zooming by you.

on the other hand, i drove a 2001 c230 kompressor and i was holding 65-70mph using only 2000rpm. Overall, i think i had better fuel efficiency with the benz.

btw i was driving up to sacremento for the C-spot drive party. the C32 was AMAZING. ONLY one professional driver was good out of the few they had. the driver using the BLACK c32. The C-class cars were all pretty good. comparing to the ES, it's a lot funner to drive because it was very responsive. But of course it's not quite as smooth.

All engines must run at higher RPM the faster the vehicle moves. The RPM stands for "Revolutions per minute", its how fast the engine is running. My ES sits around 2400 RPM at 75 MPH. The RPM at each given speed are in relation to the gearing of the transmission. Since yours is a 4 speed and mine is a 5 yours probably runs at a higher RPM than mine. It also depends on the weather, the elevation, load, tires, etc.

Generally the rule about not going over 2000 RPM goes for acceleration only, don't let the engine exceed 2000 RPMs when accelerating from a stop.

And our new Prius is getting abut 55 MPG ;) The new diesel engines are much more efficient than most gas engines.

Every single engine is different

It depends on its maximum torque peak in the rpm curve, that is where it is most efficent

meaning on a constant amount of fuel and air with spark it gives out the best results at that rpm, horsepower is irrelivent as it is only the engines ability to spin faster not move anything.

So bsing below 2000 rpm might be good for some cars but not many as most don;t make there max power way down low like 200 rpms

Its just bad for fuel economy.

As for the radio, anything that draws on the battery causes the charging system to have to work harder. thusly lowering fuel econ.

Just getting in on this, but what I noticed was that the Audi driven was a diesel. The difference is that in a diesel, they are running full torque @ 1800 rpm's and its torque curve is probably as flat as the table your computer is on all the way to red line at some insane amount of 400lb ft+. They are much more fuel efficient, and not comparable to gasoline engines.

I don't see how the radio has a damn thing to do with it though?

SWO3ES, is it true that you get 55 mpg in your new Prius? I heard that they only get 42 mpg on the Speed Channel about a month ago?

It all depends on how you drive it. My fiance's Prius forum has taught her how to drive it properly for the best gas mileage, how to brake and get maximum charging, how to take off and coast. If you drive it like a normal car you'll only get about 42, but people on her board are getting OVER 60.