Purchasing 1999 Rx300. Need Advice

bmgator1964

I am considering purchasing a 1999 RX 300, FWD, 38500 miles, for $19,500. In negotiating the price, the dealer promised me a 6 CD changer (to be installed), running boards and new mats.

Two questions:

1. Does this sound like a good deal?

2. Should I buy the extended warrnty from Lexus? (THe Lexus dealership in Manhattan told me I would still qualify)

Thanks.

H

I recently bought a 1999 RX 300 with 50,000 miles for $18,000. That's about the Kelley Blue Book price. Also, I think you have a standard warranty until 50 K miles and a powertrain warranty until 60K miles. I don't know how much the extended warranty is, or how long it covers?

I'm "hunting" too, and 19500 is a pretty good price for those miles. I've been looking at certified ones mostly and the price tends to run a little higher for those. Maybe I should come up to New York to find me one!

the lexus factory 6 cd changer lists for $2400.00 . hopefully hes putting in the factory changer not an fm modulated one that cost 129.00. it also taqkes major glovebox changes to the tune of 300.00 so make sure the new glovebox parts are included with the free facxtory cd changer.

I agree. I own a 1999 and a 2000 RX300. The 2000 is definitely a better car. The 1999 models have some problems. Does anyone know exactly why the 1999's check engine light comes on and the car seems to lack on engine power???

• 5 weeks later...

The usual caveat of "never buy the first model year of a vehicle" is always a good one to heed, however if you must do it, a Lexus is certainly the way to go. The biggest problems I've heard of with the RX series are: Oil sludging 99/00 models and transmission problems which seem to cover all model years. I'm sure there are many lesser problems that are fixed each successive year, that seems logical but those are the only "biggies" that I know of. With that said I have a 2000 and I haven't (knock wood) experienced either of these.

On the sludging issue I came to the conclusion ( with much help from list members here) that the engine sludging problem can be avoided with the use of Synthetic oil (I use mobil 1 10w-30) and/or frequent/regular oil changes (2500-3000mi). Unfortunately most people (especially Lexus owners) like to do the 5,6,7000mi oil change thing and if you use regular or cheap oil you'll be in sludge city with the Lexus V6. The reason, I'm told, is that this unit is designed to run hotter than usual and thats what kills regular oil.

The transmission thing is still a mystery to me. I have no doubts at all that a lot of people are having tranny trouble but no-one seems to know whats causing it in some but not in others with the same or more miles.