Vsc Light

I was driving this morning and it was raining but not that hard. My VSC is on and when I got on the Highway, I noticed the amber VSC light to the left of my console on and also an amber VSC off light on the right side of the console. This is the second time this has happened in three weeks. The manual said if those two lights come on that means VSC and traction system do not work. I wanted to know if anyone had this problem and if so I wanted to know what was done? I also wanted to know do the lights have to be on when I do take it to for them to see it in order for them to diagnose or even fix the problem?

Update***************

Whie driving, the malfunction indicator and VSC are on now and they are not going away when I turn off car and restart it like before. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer Monday. Wanted to know if it was safe to drive?

I had the same problem a few months after I purchased my '01 ES last year. The CEL and TRAC OFF lights came on, and the dealership diagnosed it as a malfunction in the emissions system, particularly the charcoal canister going bad. My extended warranty wasn't able to cover the part, so I ended up asking the dealership to do me a favor, and they said they will charge me just the labor for the replacement of the charcoal canister (part probably costs around $200-$300).

After the repair, the lights were gone from the gauge cluster, and I haven't had a problem since then.

Regarding the charcoal canister... isn't the emissions warranty supposed to cover that? Has anyone had any experience with this?

In my '01 owner's manual, only certain components from the emissions control system receive an 8 yr/80K mile warranty. Unfortunately the 8/80 components do not include the charcoal canister. That is backed by the Lexus Basic Warranty (4 yr/50K mile).

The lights went off early Sat when I was coming back from the Airport. I had an appointment with the Toyota dealership on Monday but since they lights went away, the guy said he would not be able to diagnose the problems until the lights comeback on and stay on. He also said it does that especially in the rain. He also told me some other stuff. Well, today, there was a thunderstorm and no lights came on. We will see I guess, when the lights do come on and stay on I will go straight to the dealer.

• 4 weeks later...

We keep having the same sporadic problem with the VSC/VSC OFF lights coming on in our 99 ES300. Have had it happen a couple of times with the Check Engine light, then it goes off. Dealer also told us that they couldn't diagnose it if the light wasn't on - well it comes on and off randomly, so it's impossible to make an appt. to get it looked at. Has been happening off and on for over a year. Seems like some kind of wiring/sensor problem (apparently rather common because the Lexus folks just roll their eyes). My current theory I'm testing is that our turn signal which was doing its fast blink (indicating the bulb is going bad) sporadically too, may be related, so I'm seeing if it makes any difference since we replaced the turn signal bulb. Also going to see if it relates at all to the gas level in the car since some people seem to think that light gets triggered by an emissions sensor. On the other hand, we had a SAAB 9000 previously that had every imaginable electrical quirk, so this is really minor compared to it. Still, it continues to make me concerned that something might be actually wrong.

• 4 months later...

Well, looks like the same thing has happened again. The VSC, VSC off, and check engine lights are all on at the same time. Its been like that since Sunday morning. I went to the Toyota dealership where I purchased the vehicle from and they told me that cataylitic converters needs to be replaced and I would have to take it to a Lexus dealer and the guy also told me that it would be covered under the 8/80K original warranty. If that is the case, should I be driving the car on a regular basis until my next week appointment? Has anyone had this problem before?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, looks like the same thing has happened again. The VSC, VSC off, and check engine lights are all on at the same time. Its been like that since Sunday morning. I went to the Toyota dealership where I purchased the vehicle from and they told me that cataylitic converters needs to be replaced and I would have to take it to a Lexus dealer and the guy also told me that it would be covered under the 8/80K original warranty. If that is the case, should I be driving the car on a regular basis until my next week appointment? Has anyone had this problem before?

I have a 2000 ES 300. I had the same problem and when I gave my car for the 70,000 mile servicing they fixed it. A few days later the light came on again. This time the Lexus dealer wanted 450$ for the same thing. I used some basic logic - when I switch the ignition on the engine light goes away and so does the TRAC light. The trac button works and I can toggle the light. The problem arises only when the car is running. Everyone including the lexus dealer said that they need to check the electrical system or something ... so I will get it done during the 75K check. But, if anyone has got it resolved for cheaper than 450$ let me know.

Cheers