Keys

You can get cheap replacement keys from lexus-parts.com (swell lexus), I got a new master from them, works beautifully. They have all of the keys you need: the valet and the flat, emergency one. They require your vin # so they can cut the key for your specific car. After I ordered they required me to show proof of ownership, i just faxed my title to them. I seached for quite a while, this was the only place I could get the key at a reasonable price from a reputable seller.

I have a 95 SC400, should I have a remote keyfob or just a key with a button? The previous owner misplaced the spare key and emergency key. How much are those from a dealer, on average?

my 96 SC4 use 4-button fob. 95 should be the same!?

95/96 does not use transponder embedded in master key, so u can just go to ur local locksmith who offers high-security key for foreign cars. it should be about $25~$30 per key.

then, buy a fob (must match FCC ID#) cheap on eBay (I got one for my 97LS4 for $18), and program it youself.

so, u can get a spare key w/4-button fob for under $50 vs about $200 at dealer.

Out of curiosity I called two local Lexus dealers about this today and the first parts guy I spoke to didn't have a clue about much of anything much less the key fob issue. The second parts guy said that once a remote fob has been programmed for a particular car you can't re-program it for another, end of subject (as far as he was concerned). I hate to seem cynical but were they being less than helpful because they saw a $200 remote key fob sale slipping through their fingers? <_<

well, I did successfully program the fob i bought from eBay for my 97 LS4. in fact, the fobs for my 96 SC4 and 97 LS4 are indentical in appearanace and the same FCC ID#.

for 95 SC4, maybe other more knowledgeable member will enlight us.....

• 3 weeks later...

I sure hope that's not a gold 95 with some very small yellow/orange stains on the passenger side of the center console. I sold my 95 with the only key I ever had -- one with the button on the side. I had never seen a seperate remote for it but it may have had a key with the three or four buttons on it's face. Mine just had the miniscule button on the edge.

That is a beautiful car, I was very sorry to see mine go but the new baby temporarily ended my sports car days. The back seat sure isn't baby-seat friendly!! :D I hope you enjoy that wonderful, sporty, classy car.

I have a 95 SC400, should I have a remote keyfob or just a key with a button? The previous owner misplaced the spare key and emergency key. How much are those from a dealer, on average?

Register the car with Lexus and they will send you the owners manuals. That will tell you what your supposed to have.

BTW the dealer in Texas (great place) is SEWELL Lexus.

:rolleyes:

That Lexus parts guy was partially right (not really, but let's give him a break). You don't program a key for a different car. But, you do program the car for a different key. The computer in the car will accept programming for multiple keys or fobs (original or replacement) depending on which you have. My '97 SC3 has a remote fob with 3 buttons on the front and the panic button on the back. I bought my replacement on e-bay for about $20 and programmed my car to accept it. Like others have said, make sure you get the proper FCC ID on the back. Some remotes look the same, but have different internals and will not work.

• 2 years later...

How would I obtain the FC ID#?

I contacted two dearlers:

Dealer #1 - Programmable Master $165 + $45 for programing, Valet key - $70

Dealer #2 - Programmable Master $200 - $270 for programing (2 hours), Valet key - $100

WTF?

My car: 1995 SC 400

How would I obtain the FC ID#?

I contacted two dearlers:

Dealer #1 - Programmable Master $165 + $45 for programing, Valet key - $70

Dealer #2 - Programmable Master $200 - $270 for programing (2 hours), Valet key - $100

WTF?

My car: 1995 SC 400

I bought my 95 sc4 that came only with one key (button on key to lock/unlock) and I went to the dearship to inquire into spare keys and got the above quotes.

Luckily I was able to track down the previous owner (I always do that for history anyway) and got a spare with no button.

Check ebay motors for the replacement. I purchased one from there and it was very simple to program. The fcc id is listed in your owners manuel and is probably the same as mine. Mine was listed on page 11 in the owners manual is is HYQWDT-C. You just do a search for that ID (be sure to check "Search title and description" so that you get the maximum number of responses.

BTW, I paid about 30 dollars for mine, shipped.