My Car Won't Turn Off!

matkins

Had an unusual experience yesterday. Was at a birthday party for my son, getting ready to leave. Went to my 1996 Lexus LX450, turned the ignition key on - nothing happened. Turned it off, turned to on position again, and the vehicle started. Backed up to load some stuff in the car, turned the key off - and the vehicle kept running! The "idiot" lights came on, would not turn off - took the key out of the ignition - and car kept running. Drove the car home (about 6 miles), pulled into driveway, turned key off - car kept running. Finally, I unhooked the battery, and car died. Left battery cable off all next day - after about 24 hours, I put cable back on, started car - and it turned off normally.

Any ideas or suggestions?

It's your starter. Two ways to tackle this. One is to replace the starter contacts (rebuild the starter). The other is to replace the starter itself. The fact that all the lights came on (on the dash) is because your alternator was beginning to get strained.

It's happened to me.

The tell-tale warning sign that the starter is dying is that you'll insert key (and turn) to start the truck, but nothing happens. Try again and it starts just fine.

Let me know if you want more details on the starter contact rebuild -- I'll direct you to the link with the part number and installation instructiosn. If you'd rather get another starter -- I can provide you with a ball-park figure (I just had my starter replaced under warranty last week -- I still have the receipt for the work done).

Do a search through the archives. Use "starter" as the keyword for the search and make sure it searches all posts regardless of date.

Here's the link to an earlier post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...1480&hl=starter

My post (at the end) has instructions I copied from here:

slee offroad tech page

If you need to get the starter to stop cranking, try hitting it with a hammer or pipe or something else that's heavy/hard. If you're looking for the thing, it's on the driver's side of the engine bay, down way low, around where the front tire is. Probably would be easiest to get to from underneath (if you're hitting it).

Good luck.

Maybe i am reading this differently than eeryone else but it sounds like the engine is not turning off not the starter is kept running !

Sounds like an ignition key problem where the inside contacts are not moving to let go.

Unless you used to have a remote starter in the car.

Do all the dash lights go back to normal if you turn the key to the run position again?

When I experienced the problem, when I removed the key, the starter remained engaged. Put the key back in and turn it -- engine would run "normally". In my case the dash lit up as I was trying to limp to a local dealership (only 2 miles away).

• 2 years later...

When I experienced the problem, when I removed the key, the starter remained engaged. Put the key back in and turn it -- engine would run "normally". In my case the dash lit up as I was trying to limp to a local dealership (only 2 miles away).

i had the same exact proble. the selinoid in the starter is starting to go bad. change it i ashure you it will fix the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

it's the starter contacts and the plunger.

..and..thanks for the input on a 2-year-old thread

:D

Hey Doug,

Speaking of old threads, did you ever give the 100 series pads a try? I've got 20k on them, and was looking at them the other day, and they're golden dude. I didn't measure the thinkness, but based on the current pad wear, I questimate another 20 or 30k easy.

:beer:

Rookie

it's the starter contacts and the plunger.

..and..thanks for the input on a 2-year-old thread

:D

Hey Doug,

Speaking of old threads, did you ever give the 100 series pads a try? I've got 20k on them, and was looking at them the other day, and they're golden dude. I didn't measure the thinkness, but based on the current pad wear, I questimate another 20 or 30k easy.

:beer:

Rookie

yeah, I put them on about 10k miles ago and they're still looking great. I love 'em. it was a pretty tight fit though -- I had to remove the shims to get them installed...but no big deal.