2003 Lx 470 Vehicle Height Control

i8hotdogs

Hello All - I was testing the vehicle height control the other day and I would like to know if this is normal. The vehicle will drop or raise properly, but what good is this feature if the height returns to the normal height as soon as the car starts moving? I first thought that the height control will only stay at the designated height until you reach a certain speed, but it was not the case. When I lowered the vehicle and drove 5mph, the truck would still return to the normal hight. Is this normal? If so, what is the point of the adjustment feature?

Thanks

The system should stay at low or high until you reach a certain speed. The low speed cut-off is very low; the high is a little above 15.

What you describe (going immediately to NORMAL) can be caused by a software(?) error which gives an incorrect reading until the system is reset with a truck restart -- sometimes this does not help, either.

Of course, your truck could just be returning to NORMAL.

Lexus corporate says you can not keep the truck in anything but NORMAL above the set speeds. However....

You could add a power on/off switch to the power line to the control module for the height adjustment. The manual has the module's schematic.

Does this work? I don't know. It should, but I have not tried it yet on mine.

Remember that driving at higher speeds with the vehicle on LOW or HIGH does have its own inherent risks, so changing the system may not be a good idea.

The system should allow for more direct control, though. A heavier load than 700 pounds over the rear axil overrides the ride control and the truck squats. That is normal, but unless you lower the front, you headlights point too high. Of course, you can't lower the front above 15.

Oh well.

traveler

Hello All - I was testing the vehicle height control the other day and I would like to know if this is normal. The vehicle will drop or raise properly, but what good is this feature if the height returns to the normal height as soon as the car starts moving? I first thought that the height control will only stay at the designated height until you reach a certain speed, but it was not the case. When I lowered the vehicle and drove 5mph, the truck would still return to the normal hight. Is this normal? If so, what is the point of the adjustment feature?

Thanks

The low height control will never work while driving. It is used for getting in, loading, etc. As soon as the car is shifted, the vehicle will go to N.

The high option will lower to N as soon as you hit 19MPH.

George

• 2 weeks later...

The height control is pretty sophisticated. As has been said, the -low- mode is only for loading/unloading. My experiences have it raising to -normal- at anything faster than a crawl. It also seems that the shock dampening goes really soft when you go into -low-. I wouldn't recommend trying to fool the system to drive in -low- for any reason. I think it would be unsafe, floaty, and you'd risk hitting your bump stops.

Based on the manual, there's also an extra-high mode that it goes into when you're stuck offroad. I guess it assumes that you're high-centered and need a little extra clearance to get moving.

• 1 month later...