Just Bought '95 Ls400.

mmmm

Hello there,

After months of reading this forum I finally purchased a '95 ls400 with 51k miles. The car is great but there is an annoying problem with the driver seat belt retraction mechanism.

If the seat belt is fastened but the key is OFF, it retracts and takes up the slack just fine after I lean forward. However, if I turn the key to the ON position, it would not retract any slack at all. Let's say I'm driving along and leaned forward a little, by the time I leaned back, the seat belt is loose. To trigger retraction, I'd have to press the seat belt release button and the mechanism would tighten the belt. It's interesting that I'd only have to press the release button and the system would start retracting then just refasten the buckle.

Needless to say, I'm a little weary of this. A repair shop (non-dealer) wanted $210 to replace the belt but my gut feeling is that with some know-how, maybe I can diagnost and fix this. I'm aware of the pyro charge employed for emergency retraction so maybe I'm in over my head here. Any suggestions is appreciated. Does anyone have access to the b-pillar trim removal procedure?

The second issue is minor. I would like to acquire a key with built-in remote. My car only came with a separate fob, FCC: HYQWDT-C. Is it possible to add a remote key? If so, what is the model/FCC number? Again, my car is a '95 ls400.

Anyway, any help is much appreciated. This forum has been very helpful.

mmmm

I also just bought 95 LS400 and having the exact prolem with the seat belts.

I talked a Lexus dealership and they recommended the seat belts to be replaced.

I bit the bullets and spend $400 to fix both front seat belts.

I did not bother to investigate it further because I feel so unsafe with the slacken seat belts.

I would think that the seat belts should be a free replacement. This is a gov't law. Maybe the time has lapsed though, ;)

Call 1 800 25lexus and ask them if seat belt issues are lifetime warranty items??????????????????? I would :cheers:

Rats, Lexus customer support was a no-go. Back to self-diagnostic mode :)

mmmm

Really? That's a bummer.

I used to have 97 Acura 2.2 and I had a seat belt problem. Fixed @ NC........dealer said seat belts were lifetime guarantee.

Lexus.........always out to make a buck ;)