Ls430 Vs. Ls400

rwallican

Just trying to get some opinions. I know most people on this site, like myself, have the ls400. I have a '96 with 63k miles, mint condition. When the ls430 first came out, I absolutely hated it. It's finally growing on me 4 years and one wife later! My wife really wants the newer model. We just bought her the '04 gs300. I wouldn't mind upgrading but it's soooooooo nice to be 1 year away from not having a car note and, since joining this site, I really enjoy reading the posts and seeing how much pride you all have in your cars. I know I'll be disappointed with the trade-in value. Please give me some opinions that'll coax me to stick with the 400!!!!!! :cries:

I still dislike the 01-03 LS430, but the 04 Refresh is much better looking. I'm still undecided on which I like more the 98-00 or the 04.

The LS430 definately has a lot more features and room than the 400 but the ride and drive are about the same.

It definitely has a lot more features. It costs a lot more too!! My friends say the 400 has a lot more classy look. I think they'll be changing the body style again in '07. I guess newer isn't always better.

It depends....

I agree the 98-00 is a very elegant looking car and ages very well but IMHO the 95-97 and definately the 90-94 are starting to show their age, most so in the 90-94's interior. The 04 has some neat lines on it but it can still look kinda "weird" from certain angles. My dad had a 98 that I loved (its what got me so interested in Lexus) and he got an 04 last October. I definately prefer the interior of the new one, and go back and forth on the exterior.

Actually the 430 new doesn't cost much more than the 90-00 400 cost new. You can get one without nav and with everything the 400 has and some more for actually less money. My dad's 98 had everything except nav and it was somewhere around 63k and change, that LS430 retails around $58k. If you add all of the goodies (his 04 is fully loaded) it hits 70, but thats still not out of line from the 400, $6500 for all that extra equipment.

heyg guys cuaght some online time, im wondering the same as rwallican, but aslo i also have a question for rwallican too, how is the difference between the Ls and the Gs, dad is currently allowing me to drive the LS to school and such, yet he shows interest in buying a newer model Lexus for me so i can drive, the LS broke down once in the middle of the street, and he doesnt wnat a repeat, and since a drive a 93 LS im wondering if the transition from LS to GS is good, or the LS 400 to the LS 430 is good, i mean i will drive whats given to me, but hopefully i can get info so my dad can just get me a car thanks guys

heyg guys cuaght some online time, im wondering the same as rwallican, but aslo i also have a question for rwallican too, how is the difference between the Ls and the Gs, dad is currently allowing me to drive the LS to school and such, yet he shows interest in buying a newer model Lexus for me so i can drive, the LS broke down once in the middle of the street, and he doesnt wnat a repeat, and since a drive a 93 LS im wondering if the transition from LS to GS is good, or the LS 400 to the LS 430 is good, i mean i will drive whats given to me, but hopefully i can get info so my dad can just get me a car thanks guys

MUST BE NICE TO GET A LEXUS HANDED OVER TO YOU. MY COLLEGE CAR WAS AN 85 CUTLASS CIERA (THIS WAS 1992!)

MY WIFE HAS A GS300. IT HAS A NICE RIDE BUT NOT NEARLY AS GOOD AS MY LS. ISN'T AS SMOOTH AND DOESN'T HAVE NEARLY THE POWER. I ALSO NEED THE EXTRA LEG ROOM. TAKE WHATEVER YOU CAN GET BUT DEFINITELY GO WITH THE LS.

I TEST DROVE THE 430 A COUPLE OF TIMES AND IT'S MORE POWERFUL THAN THE 400 AND HAS MORE GADGETS. IT'S JUST HARD FOR ME TO FATHOM STARTING OVER PAYING ON A CAR NOTE (I FIGURE A 2002 LS430 WOULD RUN ABOUT $42K) WHEN MY LS IS STILL A BABY-63,000 MILES- AND WILL BE PAID OFF SOON. I THINK I NEED SOME FINANCIAL COUNSELING :wacko:

wow my LS has about 157k miles on it proably more haha im very wearly of the current condition of the LS interior since its an everyday car and my family are pigs, its hard to keep the leather nice, i've had coffe soda water more soda spilled, any ideas? anyways rwallican sorry about your cutlass, i would rather get a subaru wrx then anything since im stil young i got to enjoy some speed, but since my dad and my mother actually all of my family is the worry worms feeding grounds they have to have the most reliable the most safest car in the world for me or i cant drive, which is horrible cus the LS is a monster in it self though not super fast on the 0-60 (i've tested it got 9.15 secs with 3 people in the car) still a monster.

btw i would get the LS430 since u have a wife and maybe even kids soon? the LS430 would bring your wife some extra comfort being its new, maybe i can buy your gs off u hahaha gl with the car shopping

Just trying to get some opinions. I know most people on this site, like myself, have the ls400. I have a '96 with 63k miles, mint condition. When the ls430 first came out, I absolutely hated it. It's finally growing on me 4 years and one wife later! My wife really wants the newer model. We just bought her the '04 gs300. I wouldn't mind upgrading but it's soooooooo nice to be 1 year away from not having a car note and, since joining this site, I really enjoy reading the posts and seeing how much pride you all have in your cars. I know I'll be disappointed with the trade-in value. Please give me some opinions that'll coax me to stick with the 400!!!!!! :cries:

Yes..........I love the 04 too!

But, wait 3 years or so and let that puppy depreciate from $58K down to $30K, then sell your LS outright and pick the 04 up! Every month you can hold out it saves you $400+/mo. in depreciation alone.

2004 - The ride is very close to the same, but even quieter. More trunk, head & interior room too.....It's awesome car for sure.

Best reason to hold off..........let your wife drive the NEW car for a while :D

I still dislike the 01-03 LS430, but the 04 Refresh is much better looking. I'm still undecided on which I like more the 98-00 or the 04.

I think the same way about them.

"I'm still undecided on which I like more the 98-00 or the 04."

A decision I think about everyday. :D

Just trying to get some opinions.  I know most people on this site, like myself, have the ls400.  I have a '96 with 63k miles, mint condition.  When the ls430 first came out, I absolutely hated it.  It's finally growing on me 4 years and one wife later!  My wife really wants the newer model.  We just bought her the '04 gs300.  I wouldn't mind upgrading but it's soooooooo nice to be 1 year away from not having a car note and, since joining this site, I really enjoy reading the posts and seeing how much pride you all have in your cars.  I know I'll be disappointed with the trade-in value.  Please give me some opinions that'll coax me to stick with the 400!!!!!!  :cries:

Yes..........I love the 04 too!

But, wait 3 years or so and let that puppy depreciate from $58K down to $30K, then sell your LS outright and pick the 04 up! Every month you can hold out it saves you $400+/mo. in depreciation alone.

2004 - The ride is very close to the same, but even quieter. More trunk, head & interior room too.....It's awesome car for sure.

Best reason to hold off..........let your wife drive the NEW car for a while :D

Thanks everyone. I think the most logical advice is to wait 3 years and let that '04 depreciate. I never really noticed the difference in the body style until I went to the lot yesterday. I'll do a few things to customize mine now (18" chrome OEM wheels). The next one I buy is gonna be for keeps!!!!