Engine Coolant

The engine coolant level in my car is at about the 'L' level. Can I get the recommended coolant and just add it to the Coolant container? Or do I first need to drain it?

I did my 30K service sometime last year, and am not sure if the Coolant was refilled at that time (had an oil change done since then). I was surprised to find the coolant level low, as I thought the service people would've refilled it in my last visit if it was getting low.

Thanks in advance, and I must say this site is helpful.

Barani

What year Lexus since different years get different answers? Yes you can just add a mixed collant to it. So far EG coolant is fine in the ES. Now some people will say you need Lexus/Toyota coolant. If you are unsure use Toyoya/Lexus coolant until you read more up on this topic.

Being a Lexus you must pay for every cap unscrewed, filled. That is the Lexus way. Great service but you pay for it...big time.

Another MA person. Did you get it at Herb Chambers?

What year Lexus since different years get different answers? Yes you can just add a mixed collant to it. So far EG coolant is fine in the ES. Now some people will say you need Lexus/Toyota coolant. If you are unsure use Toyoya/Lexus coolant until you read more up on this topic.

Being a Lexus you must pay for every cap unscrewed, filled. That is the Lexus way. Great service but you pay for it...big time.

Another MA person. Did you get it at Herb Chambers?

Thanks for the response. Mine is 99 ES300. I got it from Watertown.

I agree, the dealers charge so much even for simple things. For instance, they quoted me $80 to fix a tail bulb. I said, no thanks.

Recently I started getting the famous "Rapid left turn signal" problem. I'm reluctant to take it to them, as I'm sure it's going to cost upwards of $100. I think the reason they do this is because they know that these things are not simple for many car novices like me. I have no idea why would Lexus make the access to the turn signal bulb so damn hard. I spent about an hour trying to take out the lens assembly last night, but wasn't succesful, it just wouldn't come out (after removing the clip and the screw that holds the unit). In fear of damaging the lens unit, worse yet the paint, I may just give up and take it to them.

Oh, just venting out.

hey neighbor!! B)

in a pinch, if you don't have coolant, you can add distilled water to bring the level in the overflow jug up to a level you are comfortable with. It will only be about a soda can full.

steviej

I spent about an hour trying to take out the lens assembly last night, but wasn't succesful, it just wouldn't come out (after removing the clip and the screw that holds the unit). In fear of damaging the lens unit, worse yet the paint, I may just give up and take it to them.

off topic but maybe a little help:

Know the feeling. I had the same problem regarding the turn signal- if this is the front assembly, this is what I had to do. The problem is there is little or no leverage, what I finally did was use a very small plastic tie wrap, put it through the hole where the screw was under the plastic shroud, used this for a small handle and slowly applied pressure-pulling towards the front of the car. Worked for me

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Coolant issue: When I checked the level on Sunday, I thought it was at the 'L' level. I hadn't driven the car for about 24 hours at that time. I checked the level again the next night (after driving about 10 miles) when the level had risen to a comfortable level, 1/4th below the 'F line. When I checked it the following morning, it was about the midpoint between 'L' and 'F.

Perhaps, the water portion had separated out (when the car was not driven for quite a while) and I checked only the red color mark on Sunday?

Anyway, I'll check the level again next time I don't drive it for a day. Also, as suggested, I'll add dist. water to make up if needed.

Turn signal assembly issue: I wanted to give it one last try the next night. This time I gave a little force (with only my palm) by tapping the lens from the rear end towards the front. After a few hard taps, it came out. After cleaning the contacts, it seems to be working :)

I'll try the plastic tie wrap the next time, which I'm eagerly waiting to show up again.

Oh, btw, I checked my receipts. I had a 30K service done last November, which has a line "Engine Coolant Replaced". Also, I had a regular oil change done in February which has a line "Inspect and correct all fluid levels" which I assume includes the coolant. Both the services were done at a Lexus dealership.

I'll keep an eye on the level..