Tire/rim Installation: How? Can A Newbie Do It?

Greetings, all. I have a 1997 ES300, with a fairly fast leak in the left front tire. The dealership found that the inside of the rim is rusty; combine that with the weight of the vehicle and air leaks out. The dealership said I might be able to get it fixed; failing that, I need a new rim.

A few questions: what's the probability I can just get my current rim fixed? Do I need to replace *all* rims, or can I just do the one? I've found inexpensive-looking rims at wheels-and-rims.com; if I get rims shipped to me, where might I find instructions on how to remove my current tire and put it on the new rim? How easy is it to do this? What other steps would I need to perform? Can I just take them to Tire Kingdom (for example) and ask them to do it?

Thanks for your help!

-- Larry

It depends on what kind of rims you have now. Unless it is severe, a rim can always be fixed by a good wheel shop. It may cost about $70 - $150 depending on the rim and the damage. Are the rims worth that much? If not or close, I'd just get a new one.

As for DIY, taking off and putting on tires is not really easy. Do you see that machine tire/wheel shops have to remove and put on the tires? Unless you have one of those, I'd just take it to a shop. If you have nice rims, however, make sure you get recommendations to the shop and assurances from the shop that they have handled nice rims and won't damage yours.

Easy enough to refinish the inner or outer rim bead. The part the tire sits against the rim.

A good bit of sand paper is usully all that is needed.

Or send it out to be fixed while you drive a round on your full sized spare tire .