Oil Change Frequency

I have a silly (somewhat) question...

How often do you change oil?

I am used to being pretty religious about changing oil in my Camry every 3-4 thousand miles, but when I checked oil in ES 300 after 3000 miles -- it looks very clean.

Is Lexus recommended 5000 mile/ 6 month period acceptable?

Your shared experience would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alex

Your 5000 mile oil change schedule shadows my 6000 km (Canadian specs)schedule to a "T". For the cost of a filter and oil I've found it to be cheap insurance for trouble free motoring. Curiously, our last Toyota Cressida used the same 6000 km schedule and used not a drop of oil until it hit 5000 km. At that point the viscosity must have dropped off and the car would burn about a 3rd of a litre of oil up until the 6000 km oil change. This occurred from when the car was first new, and continued up until we traded it on our 97 ES 300, at which point the Cressida had 269 000 km on it. Change the oil and filter at every recommended schedule.

Basically its the kind of thing where you can't be too careful. You can't "overchange" the oil. Myself I change it every 5k like Lexus reccomends with full synthetic. If it makes you feel better to do it every 3k then go right ahead.

Basically its the kind of thing where you can't be too careful. You can't "overchange" the oil. Myself I change it every 5k like Lexus reccomends with full synthetic. If it makes you feel better to do it every 3k then go right ahead.

that is my schedule, too.

I particularly like the synthetic for NE winters and the ease of mind in going 5000 miles. If I were to use dino, then I would go with a 3000 mile interval.

any shorter than this is giving more money to the oil companies and we do enough of that at the pumps. :angry:

steviej

What about early change. Is it better or just worthless?

Regular: every 3,000 Miles

Early: every 1,500 miles

You're not going to hurt anything, but there's not going to be any real advantage, either.

Any modern car engine should last for 200 k miles with oil changes at the manufacturer's recommended interval. Changing it a bit more frequently might be a decent insurance policy. Changing it every 1500 miles seems like money down the drain.

Well, I drive total of 100 miles per week. So, I have put a little over 1,400 miles on the car since I bought it in January, 2004. So, 1,500 miles seemed a lot too me. Thats why I asked. Well, now I do. Thanks GUYs.

:cheers:

If you're driving that little, you'll probably want to consider time as well as mileage.

Your manual gives both an elapsed time and a mileage. Choose whichever comes first.

I don't know for sure, but your low mileage might put you into the 'severe service' category.