Tire Dillema Continues...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called the other place and they came down to $50 more than the online price so I decided to go with them. They have a road force balancer and I wont have to deal with shipping if I have problems.

They go on tomorrow at 11.

bit late I know Steve - but I have been running Toyo Proxes T1-S on my IS for nearly a year.

I changed all 4 Bridgestones Potenza's to these - and very happy with them.

Road noise was noticeably less, and the grip is great.

My liked 'em so much my father got the TPT's for his Rover,and he is really happy with them.

You made a good choice mate ;) let us know how you get on

Good thing I didn't buy haven't bought those contipremiers yet!!!!...and I won'

t either.

Now I'm just wondering if new tires will actually make a difference on my 02 ES. SW, I will be interested in hearing if they do.......and.....

WHY CAN'T THOSE ANNOYING RATTLES AND SQUEAKS AND CREAKS JUST GO AWAY???????

:(

Have you tried taking it back to the Lexus dealer and having them look for the rattles? I've had my dealer fix two and they fixed them perfectly both times.

Matthew, the Toyo Proxes TS-1's you mentioned are indeed an excellent tire & I have heard many good things about them......a very good choice on your IS to be sure, but overkill for a car like the ES. One might actually do a diservice as they are more for a performance sports sedan like the IS compared to a more tame & comfort riding vehicle like the ES. SW, how are your new TPT's? Did you go with the H or V rated? Don't forget that they are a "directional" tire when it comes time to do your rotations.......do not cris-cross them......front to back & back to front only. B)

:cheers:

No such thing as OVER-KILL, unless your talking wedding rings. Did you forget that the ES 300 speed limiter is set at 146mph! Not that you should do that, but when the kids borrow the car you have no idea what they are doing. (I did it when I was younger).

When I buy tires, I alway plan for the worst- especially with my trucks, as you may need a 8 ply if you decide to haul a trailer around or something like that. Now, I could say that a 24" wheel/tire on a fourwheel drive is overkill, and a waste- but they have the money to do waste I guess?

Having seen the TS-1's they're definately overkill for the ES. Its a sports tire, the ES isn't a sports car.

Got the TPT's on and they ride great! Huge difference! Little shimmy in the front from 75-85ish the guy seems to think it might be settling in since it goes away when being driven at a constant speed. If not he's going to re-balance them Monday.

Neat looking tires too, I'll post pics!

I got them from Craven tire in Arlington, VA for $630 installed including the road hazard warranty. Thats discounted because the guy came down some to offset the savings from buying them online. You can get them online at www.treadepot.com for $75 a peice in this size. I paid $101 a peice and they retail for $135.

Wow! How did it come out to $630 when the price was $101 per tire? In my area they charge about $25 per tire for mounting & balancing. Sales tax would add about $45. What am I forgetting? How much extra was the road hazard warranty? :blink:

Glad your happy sw! Keep us posted about the shimmy issue....what kind of weights did you use? The ones that are put behind the wheel as opposed to on the "lip" of the ring itself? :unsure:

tundra, yes there is such thing as overkill with tires........& wedding rings too :blink: I'm glad I stuck to the "plain is fancy" concept with my wedding plans. Like sw already mentioned, the ES is no sports car no matter how many mods you put on the car.......if were talkin the IS than the TS-1's should be on one's "short list" just not on the 97+ ES. The ride would be much harsher also & if that's the case.....why buy an ES to begin with? :blink:

I love those tires too! I nearly bought them instead, but I just use mine for daily commute- so the overkill to me was price but not performace. I drive all of my vehicles pretty hard, and am not affraid to drive. I just like something that can take my abuse and then some (thats what I mean by overkill). For wedding rings- I'm going with a silver band next time- screw the diamonds! BTW: I have the same shake at the same speed, and am going to have them rebalance again-making sure they have a highspeed balancer, and heard that the stick on weights don't work as well? I hope it works!

I have the hidden weights as well behind the "spokes" if you will, but never had any shimmy issues....hopfully it clears up soon, if not take them back & get them to re-balance them.

Tundra, I went with "plain" wedding bands....no diamonds (but 14 & 18k gold). The engagement ring....well it had to be diamonds lol :lol::blink:

sw,

would you recommend TPTs to those who are "kind of" already satisfied with mxv+4s? In terms of road noise and comfort, do you think TPTs are comparable, better or worse than mxv+4s?

Are your tires 205/65/15?

Thanks!

They are quieter & more comfortable than the Michelins.....as I've mentioned I've driven on both. Sorry sw, I know this was directed at yourself......just wanted to put my 2 cents in. :whistles:

If you want them smoother, you can SIPE them. I have had all my tires siped, except my Blizzack's- seems to smooth them out a bit. It also is mentioned to provide more traction in bad weather, which I would agree with.

As for my balance problem, I found out yesterday during my third trip to the tire shop for another balancing- they acutually have 3 different ways to static balance your tires. They did mine on the 1st setting, twice! It was terrible between 55-75mph. This time they put the machine on the second setting which puts the "stick on" weights near the outer edge (by the spokes if you have them), and another set of weights near the middle of the wheel. It smoothed it right out, no more wobble!!!! I ended up telling the guy: "This is your last chance to get this right, and the next time my business is going somewhere else." I also explained to him that I didn't appreciate the black hand prints all over my steering wheel, and door. They seemed to have finally got it taken care of.

I've been sick the past few days (have this horrible pain right behind my eyes, must be allergies) o I haven't had a chance to get them re-balanced. I have lifetime balancing though. Its settled a bit but its still there 70-80, one of them's just a hair out in the front.