Rear Brakes

fjstl

I recently purchased a used 97 LS 400 with 130,000 miles and was advised that it may be ready for new rear brakes. I am trying to determine if I should take it to the dealer or let a very rebutable garage handle the job. If the garages does the job, are oem parts ok to use?

I'd buy OEM Brakes (pads and rotors), and doing it yourself would be the best.

What are the problems with your rear brakes?

I'm not to far off from having to replace my brakes and keep hearing about ceramic pads. Anyone have comments about OEM vs. ceramic? I repalced the fronts about 30,000 miles ago and they squeal sometimes. Will ceramics make a differance?

Thanks for your comments and help! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I just bought a 95 LS. My first LS and I have a question about the brake pedal. Keep in mind that I have only had a couple of SC's before this. The LS pedal feels a softer than the SC. Kind of feels like a low pedal, almost like it has too much freeplay. Is this normal or do I have a bad master cylinder? OR could it be something else?

streetkit, I have a '97 LS and have had it for almost 5 years. The pedal does feel a bit lower than most cars. It just takes some getting used to. :)

I'm still looking for some input on ceramic pad vs. oem. I'll be replacing them in the next month or so. Any comment would be great. :cheers:

99lsguy, I had the rears done by a local shop just after I got the car 4 yrs. ago. I did the fronts about 3 yrs. ago. So, I'm not sure if grease was put on both sides of the shims. I want to replace the pads and the rotors some time this summer (same time I do my struts and springs).

When are we going to play golf 99ls? I played today B)

I'm still looking for info on ceramic vs. oem pads :whistles:

99lsguy, I had the rears done by a local shop just after I got the car 4 yrs. ago. I did the fronts about 3 yrs. ago. So, I'm not sure if grease was put on both sides of the shims. I want to replace the pads and the rotors some time this summer (same time I do my struts and springs).

When are we going to play golf 99ls? I played today B)

I'm still looking for info on ceramic vs. oem pads :whistles:

I think that's a good move on changing the rotors too........ :cheers:

DIY is about the same as just having the rotors turned by someone else.......and now you have new, full rotors!!!

I just bought the OEM pads from lexus -- about $60.

(I think I'm getting a Titleist 983E driver.....speeder shaft!!)

99lsguy, I played the Palmer Private course at PGA yesterday. B)

I guy I played with had the new Taylormade driver, what a great driver!

I just got my springs and new logos. I get my torque wrench back from Snap On on Monday.

Anyone know a good place to get new rotors and pads?