Pre-2022 NX Hybrid Fuel Economy

I'm thinking of purchasing an NX hybrid and I've found a 2020 300h for 48k (CAD) with 40k km on it.  I like the idea of getting a used car for a good price but from the research I've done, it seems the 2022 (& 2023) hybrid gets much better fuel economy than any previous years.  Is this true, and if so, why?

I prefer having physical buttons, so I don't mind the older models, but I'd be tempted to pay premium for a 2023 if the fuel economy is really that much better.

You are correct, the 2020 NX300h gets 33 MPG city and 30 MPG highway
The 2022 NX350h gets 41 MPG city and 37 MPG highway.

I'm not sure Lexus did this, but I believe the NX hybrid now requires premium fuel.

The 2022 (and '23) NX doesn't require premium fuel, it's only recommended - same for the new RX, from what I've read.  The difference in MPGs you listed is pretty significant, so I'll probably have to go with the new NX (if I get an NX) to get the fuel economy I want.  

You are correct. I suspect that the ambient temperature plays a role in how the engine's computer alters power output potential. So if you are driving under cold ambient temperature conditions, the performance difference among octane selections may be less obvious.