Aftermarket/custom Tail Lights

Hi again...

I was curious on where to get aftermarket tail lights or have them made? I've looked everywhere and don't see any of the "clear" tail lights that a lot of Hondas, Acuras, etc... have. I see them for the other Lexus', but not the SC300. Any idea why they don't make them. Also, any idea where I could ship my tail lights to where they could do some customizing? Maybe make them clear or something?

Thanks again for the help :)

There are ways to modify them yourself. But only for the 95+ models. the 92 - 94 models have colored lense that can not be modified in stock form - but there was some company doing it for an outrageous price.

Nobody in the US has made altessa taillights for the SC. Signal Auto in Japan has, but since they don't have it state legal, you might be harassed local police :( . Also, the lights are not very bright. Mainly for city driving.

There are ways to modify them yourself. But only for the 95+ models. the 92 - 94 models have colored lense that can not be modified in stock form - but there was some company doing it for an outrageous price.

AWJ...Thanks for the info on the fog light...Gnsc40095

How can you modify tail lights yourself? I have a 95' Sc400. Thanks again AWJ

Courtesy of wmulli:

1. Heat in oven @ 250 for 5 minutes

2. Gently pry apart where the grey glue is. It took me four times in the oven to get all the way around HINT- spread the glue evenly back into the groove on the reflector while it's still warm!

3. Once you get the lens off, there is a small screw holding the inside lens frame to the outer lens. Take this screw out and the frame pops out. From there it is easy to get the colored lenses out of the frame.

clear_tailight_01.jpg

After the colored lenses are out, I cut a piece of diffusing plastic to fit in the frame. This isn't difficult, but it takes some time to get the fit right as the frame has a slight curve to it. When it fits snuggly, glue it in and attach the frame back to the outer lens. Here's a picture of the lens, the frame, and a completed lens.

clear_tailight_02.jpg

I heated both parts in the oven for 5 minutes and then carefully stuck them back together.

clear_tailight_03.jpg

clear_tailight_04.jpg

• 6 months later...

I think there's some mis-information here.

91-93 models had the reverse light in the centre of each of assembly. 94-95 had it (reverse light) on the bottom inner corner. 95+ took the full inner part of the assembly.

I drive a '94 and am abotu to clear the taillights as well. I've already blackened my front lights, now to clear the rears !!

• 1 month later...

My left rear tail light had almost 1/2" of water in it yesterday so I've managed to disassemble it as per wmulli's instructions (thanks also to AWJ). This may be a stupid question but here goes ... if I decide to clear the lower part of the lenses, do I then need to install red light bulbs for the brake lights and orange bulbs for the indicator lights?

Thanks

:)

You're most likely going to have to. I've been trying to change the lenses to a two-tone, but I will warn you, you'll have to add a clear lense to the upper/clear side. Let me know if you come accross the clear lenses. Also, would you mind posting what AWJ stated about how to disassemble the tail lights?

Thanks

UCF3,

Here's the link that AJ posted ...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&f=3&t=1010&hl=

I don't quite follow what you mean when you say "you'll have to add a clear lense to the upper/clear side." Can you explain it a little more? I'm clearing the lower part of the lense and Home Depot sells plastic light diffusers that can be cut to the correct size and installed in the lense.

UCF3,

Here's the link that AJ posted ...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&f=3&t=1010&hl=

I don't quite follow what you mean when you say "you'll have to add a clear lense to the upper/clear side."  Can you explain it a little more?  I'm clearing the lower part of the lense and Home Depot sells plastic light diffusers that can be cut to the correct size and installed in the lense.

Thanks for the link from AWJ. One of the pictures on the link shows a slightly different type of setup, but the other picture:

clear_tailight_02.jpg

Take a look at the middle lense. Gives it a better look I've been trying to do.

How did you split the housing. what temp. oven did you use and for how long?

UCF3,

I set the oven to 200F and "roasted" the light assembly for about 5 minutes. I had to repeat the process three or four times. I don't plan on reusing the factory sealer ... I plan on using silicone to reassemble the light. I'm going to drill some small holes in the underside as well (AWJ's suggestion). I agree that the diffusers installed in the clear part of the lense give a better look. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to keep the outer reflector in the lower part of the lense. I think it looks better without it so I'll most likely remove it.

UCF3,

I set the oven to 200F and "roasted" the light assembly for about 5 minutes. I had to repeat the process three or four times. I don't plan on reusing the factory sealer ... I plan on using silicone to reassemble the light. I'm going to drill some small holes in the underside as well (AWJ's suggestion). I agree that the diffusers installed in the clear part of the lense give a better look. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to keep the outer reflector in the lower part of the lense. I think it looks better without it so I'll most likely remove it.

I believe the outer reflector is absolute by US DOT standard. The standard doesn't say that it has to be red, but should reflect something. This might sway you in a direction.