Electric Tilt Wheel

mbpgawest

I did a search on "Tilt Wheel" and came up empty. I have a '97 LS400 and "Normal" opperation when the key is put back in the ignition the steering wheel goes back to where it was. Just in the last couple weeks my titl wheel has been only going part way. So I take the key out and put it back in and sometimes it goes where it should.

Has anyone else has or heard of this problem before? :(

I have this exact problem too(however, my telescope has gone crazy too), but I have not fixed it. I would assume that some kind of sensor or motor is bad or dirty. I've checked newlexusparts for the motor, and just the telescope motor is $400+. :o At that price, I think I can live with the cuckoo steering wheel adjustments. :wacko: Sorry, I can't help you, but I can sympathize! :lol:

:cheers:

I spoke with my brother-in-law, who is a "Master Mechanic" for a Lexus dealer. I told him about the telescopic problem. He said that it is most likely the motor. With out looking it up, he said that this year had the sensor and the motor as one piece. Better off living with it until it goes out totally. :cries:

I repared my 94 LS with this post. I used PVC pipe as a spacer and it worked like a charm. I don't know if it is the same issue as the 97 but it was worth the effort.

Be sure you cut the spacer where it is flush or it will not work. I think we cut it at

an 1/8 inch and not 1/4 but I leave that for you. It works great!!! :cheers::cheers:

I'm not sure if your problem is the same, but it sounds a lot like the problem I had with my 1995 LS400. It turns out that there was a service bulletin on this. It was very easy to fix and only took about 15 minutes. Basically, all I had to do was unravel some tape on the sensor position harness. If I did this right, the link below should take you to the TSIB.

http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article...view/2077/1/41/

Thanks for the suggestions Agent 99 and Wes. :)

Wow, thanks '95. :D I'm going to have to try that. The TSB perfectly describes my problem. My tilt/tele works perfectly sometimes, and sometimes it does its own thing. What's weird is when I play with my telescope I can hear something crunching in the housing. I think it sounds like the motor is running over a straw or something(its gotta be the electrical tape though!). :lol:

Well, I just got in from completing the TSB work. It worked!!!!!!! :D :D My tilt/tele is no longer psycho! I'm sooo happy to have that fixed, and it took well under 30 min. to do it(we put and pulled the key 10x to see that it worked). :D

MB, go do this service now! The TSB has step-by-step instructions; it's terribly easy! ;)

I repared my 94 LS with this post. I used PVC pipe as a spacer and it worked like a charm. I don't know if it is the same issue as the 97 but it was worth the effort.

Be sure you cut the spacer where it is flush or it will not work. I think we cut it at

an 1/8 inch and not 1/4 but I leave that for you. It works great!!! :cheers::cheers:

well, glad to see my old post did help someone :rolleyes: ! however, that's for my old 94 which was wrecked in late April as u know...

we are a big happy family....