Loose Steering

I'm thinking about purchasing an '04 ES330. fully loaded: ML, Nav, Prem pkg, etc, etc. My only issue is that the steering feels very loose on my test drives. Is there any way to tighten it and get better road feel? I know the ES isn't a sports car but... Thanks.

I think I know what your talking about, but can you be more specific? They are softer than some cars out, but the steering has always been known for accurate feel. For example the latest test with Car and Driver with the IS 300 compared to several other cars in same category.

The only thing you can do, if they offer the parts is polyurethane bushings, coil-overs/struts, and a TRD Strut brace- or factory Solara suspension support (aka strut brace), and maybe some higher performance wheels/tires. These will all help with steering feel, but do you want to pay for it not knowing if it will be the "better" feel your looking for? They don't seem to offer much for these cars- to many people (old) satisfied with marginal performance, an automatic tranny, and enough room for their golf bags- (no offence)!

tundra-lover-

They don't seem to offer much for these cars- to many people (old) satisfied with marginal performance, an automatic tranny, and enough room for their golf bags- (no offence)!

Yes....I do take offense to that last comment! Age has absolutely nothing to do with a person that wants performance in his or her car. :chairshot:

lower profile tires with bigger rims will stiffen the feel greatly

17 or 18's work best

sounds like tundra quoted a basic stat of lexus not meaning to offend anyone,that is why he said "no offence". He didn;t make it u it is just a commen denominator of the lexus equation,don;t blame him for mentioning it .You may not like the idea but it is based in fact.

other than the IS Lexus isn;t aimed at pre 40's and aren;t really priced there either.

I'm thinking about purchasing an '04 ES330. fully loaded: ML, Nav, Prem pkg, etc, etc. My only issue is that the steering feels very loose on my test drives. Is there any way to tighten it and get better road feel? I know the ES isn't a sports car but... Thanks.

If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts.

Thanks. Btw, I am over 40. The steering seems accurate, it just isn't firm or tight. It feels like something on a Caddy or Lincoln. The dealer said there isn't anything they can do about it. Oh well. Looks like I'm going to get the G35 instead. Maybe I'll be able to afford the SC430 in a few years.

don;t buy the g35 yet

a great car but still too many warreny issues, my friend got rid of his to buy a 350z

i know same car but less electronics to go wrong

after all the chasis was built for the 350 and adapted for a

R35 Nissan skyline/ Infinity g35

• 2 years later...

Thanks. Btw, I am over 40. The steering seems accurate, it just isn't firm or tight. It feels like something on a Caddy or Lincoln. The dealer said there isn't anything they can do about it. Oh well. Looks like I'm going to get the G35 instead. Maybe I'll be able to afford the SC430 in a few years.

Don't put the Caddy in the same category with the Lexus. My Caddy had tight steering and with good shocks rode very well. Also didn't !Removed! out at 75mph.

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing sort of the same problem, sometime when I corner the wheel feels like it drifts and I have to over correct to keep it straight. Any ideas?

Buy a GM Caddy or Buick. Much better engineering than Lexus...

You must be joking...