New Rotors & Pads For 95 Ls

skyview

Greetings,

Need to replace front and rear rotors on 95 LS with 96K miles. Indie states front rotors have turned "blue" from over-heating and wants $780.00 for job using OEM parts. I thought I would seek advice from the group before committing.

I do about 450 miles a week mostly hi-way driving. I am looking for rotors that will last and pads that do not squeek and are virtually dust free.

Should I go with the OEM or Brembo Cross Drilled rotors? What type of Pads?

Also need a good place for purchase. If e-bay, please give name of seller.

Thanks In Advance!

www.newlexusparts.com or www.irontoad.com for OEM parts. as to the aftermarket parts you should wait since some of our members are brave enuff to try those parts on their cars and then they will tell us results.

• 10 months later...

I got the ones from IRONTOAD - TOYOTA OEM - with some improvements Toyota made apparently (mine is a 97) - they are ceremic now, and have a slight pad mod to relieve squealing ... 45 dollars - work great - very happy.

I got some Bremle style slotted rotors from Knights Auto on Ebay. Got cermaics for the front but mine is a 91 and I couldn't get a ceramic for the rear. Very happy! Really helped the braking. Got everything shipped and it was well under

$400.00

Bob

I bought 4 drilled, slotted and zinc plated rotors on ebay, for $120.00 , including shipping. I checked the sellers history/feedback first, and saw no problems. I had some difficulty at first with delivery: I had ordered two fronts and received two rear rotors. He sent me the fronts, free shipping, FEDEX overnight, and let me keep the rears for $50 ( I had paid $60 plus shipping for the original fronts.

When I miked the rotors, they were tapered about .002" , larger at OD, and parallel witin .0015". I think most of the error was due to uneven plating, which comes right off at first use. They feel pretty good, have not overheated, and look great.

Threr are several suppliers on ebay for rotors and pads, mostly in SOCAL; Orange county is chock-full of machine shops trying to survive the aerospace downturn, looking for a niche market.

I'm sure you could replace all rotors and pads for as little as $160.00, or as much as $500.00, depending on quality and reputation( Brembo, etc.). But don't believe that more money buys quality. Ask for specs or tolerances. If they don't know, shy away.

John

• 2 months later...

Guys, it's my turn to take on the brake replacement. I notice some of the auto stores have pads and rotors for the 95 ls model. Any suggestions? I'm kind of price pinched at the moment and the front pads are definetly toast! Autozone has ceramic, no squeak, dust free pads for $40. Rotors for $90. I might beable to get away with having the rotors turned, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I was checking them out earlier, just curious if there is any way I can do a one stop shop kind of deal. I'm hitting the road next week for 12 days and am kind of in a time crunch. The control arms and so forth were such a pain in the tail, ordering, wrong parts delivered, yada yada yada. I kind of want to take the car in at 8:00 am, and pick it up at 5:00pm kind of thing. No dealer either. Place is a rip off shop on labor charges.

Disregard this post. Another moment of insanity. I'm going with OEM. Geezz, I should read some of my own advice. Like I'm gonna hand my car over to Midas to save $50. Someone please give me a chair shot in the head for even thinking of such a thing. :chairshot:

• 2 years later...

Look at the Tire Rack. I bought Brembo rotors and ceramic pads for about 200.00 (including shipping) and put them on myself. The brembo rotors were superb quality. I would definately buy from those guys again.