94 Ls400 Vs. 98 A8?

Johnnyma45

Hello all. Long time lurker, I think I've posted only once on this site, but I am wondering if anyone can help me with this quandary:

My family has always been Lexus fans, from our very first 1994 LS400, to my mom's 99 RX300 and my dad's current 2003 LS430. I have since inherited the LS400, and it has had no major mechanical problems except for a suspension and coil which apparently had broken in half. (I'm not a mechanic so I don't know how much that happens, but I live in Michigan and the potholes here perhaps had more than a little to do with it.) With about 106,000 miles there is only the normal problems listed elsewhere on this site (A/C display, flickering dash, etc.) Recently there has been feedback through the steering wheel, and a low groaning coming from the front end when I turn at low speeds. The dealer said that this was due to a leak in the power steering pump, and in the meantime I have held off on fixing it.

So anyways...my question is, a friend who is a private dealer has a 1998 Audi A8 4.2 quattro which he is selling for about $15,000, and I have no idea about Audi reliability. $15k is less than KBB/Edmunds prices for private party/dealer, but I am concerned 1) about long term reliability for Audi's and 2) resale value compared to my LS400. The car itself looks solid, and 4-wheel drive would help in the winter. This may be better answered through an Audi owner's website but I was interested to see what Lexus owners may say. I would like to stick with my current car, but if the power steering becomes a bigger problem (needs replacement) I think selling it may be smarter.

Anyways, thanks for reading this post. Big fan of this site.

The Audi resale will tank - which is a shame because I love the newer Audis. What I don't know is if the reliability is there.

If you're willing to spend $15k, why not buy a newer Lexus and remove the issue of reliability?

Do you need the AWD?

You must remember only three words when approaching an Audi on a lot, new or used, and they are:

"RUN LIKE HELL"

Mechanics will say of Audi's:

"I don't fix Audi's, I only work on 'em."

ye its cus u are reading a lexus forum where everyone here is a die hard lexus fan... like he said i would check out an audi site or an impartial judge such as kbb.com and maybe compare the 2 if u can

btw i got a change to go back online since the dad took the net away and this was the first website i check i still love this forum :D

ye its cus u are reading a lexus forum where everyone here is a die hard lexus fan... like he said i would check out an audi site or an impartial judge such as kbb.com and maybe compare the 2 if u can

btw i got a change to go back online since the dad took the net away and this was the first website i check i still love this forum  :D

What you are saying is very true-we are Lexus biased, but Consumer Reports doesn't lie. This year European makes did come in last in reliability, according to CR. Take a guess at the most reliable...hint: it's a Lexus! The GS was the most reliable with only 5 problems per 100 cars! :D I know some of the 80's-90's MB's were pretty decent cars, but now it seems like they the newer ones are trash.

Good to see you back GS! :D

:cheers:

ye its cus u are reading a lexus forum where everyone here is a die hard lexus fan...

don't know about audi, BMW, VW, porche, but the 2 MB S-class I once owned (88 420SEL) and still own (93 400SEL) are indeed trash! they spent more time in the shop than in my drive way or on the road. can't begin to describe the long nightmares I've been through.

to stop that groan temporarily until you replace the PS pump. just keep filling her up with PS fluid, lack of the PS fluid is whats causing it to make that groan you are reffering too.

in my opinion i wouldn't waste the money on an audi either....but its your descision, like mentioned above we are all lexus enthusiasts therefore opinions are biased in this forum :D

Thanks for the input. Yea I was swaying towards not picking up the A8...I spent a little bit more time with it today, it drives a little more torque-y than mine but the interior fit/finish was nowhere near even a 94 Lexus, I was surprised. I may comb the auctions for a GS or another LS.

silvermate, when I had my oil changed at the dealer they did what you said and filled up the PS fluid. However that was about a month ago, does fluid leak that fast? How often should I fill it up?

silvermate, when I had my oil changed at the dealer they did what you said and filled up the PS fluid. However that was about a month ago, does fluid leak that fast? How often should I fill it up?

its hard to say really....just depends on how bad of a leak you have....but sure, relatively speaking it could have leaked a substantial amount of fluid in a months time if you have a very leaky PS pump.

power steering becomes a bigger problem (needs replacement) I think selling it may be smarter.

There is a lot here on p/s system failure on the early LS400s. Repairs range from just replacing the pump with an inexpensive AutoZone rebuilt to also replacing the p/s line ($300 part) to completely replacing the rack ($$$).

I think the latest Audis are the best lookig cars out there. A short term view would be to get one and just keep your fingers crossed.

My reasoning on the long term:

Toyota healthy=Lexus healthy; Strong sales and high consumer ratings = strong dealerships = healthy dealerships = dealership service more generous with repairs and less likely to screw you.

Audi/Volkswagon = struggling dealerships = modest sales; car problems = plunging resale values; car problems pit dealers against manufacturer with the consumer getting screwed, i.e. dealer less likely to keep your car running best because they don't get reimbursed from the the manufacturer.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

ye its cus u are reading a lexus forum where everyone here is a die hard lexus fan...

don't know about audi, BMW, VW, porche, but the 2 MB S-class I once owned (88 420SEL) and still own (93 400SEL) are indeed trash! they spent more time in the shop than in my drive way or on the road. can't begin to describe the long nightmares I've been through.

1993 S-Class sedan. :) I must say that even though they may not be all that reliable- I think that they are very nice looking automobiles. The 92-95 S-Class sedans are built like tanks (like all Mercedes) as far as the bodies go, but I think they lack in the electrical department. The 86-91 S-Class sedans are also nice looking cars. I nearly bought a 1986 Mercedes 560SEL (V8) before I bought the LS400, but reliability was a concern. I was familiar with Toyota quality and I knew that Lexus (being made by Toyota) made a fine automobile. :)

Also- true about asking Lexus owners about an Audi, but it is possible that some may own both, but if not- it is like asking about a BMW on a Mercedes site. Yes, the 70s and 80s Mercedes were/are fine cars- especially the diesels. They too however have their fair share of electrical glitches. My favorite 80s Mercedes is the 81-85 300SD turbo diesel. Some owners have reported 1,000,000 miles on these cars on the original drivetrains. :blink:

Keep in mind that Audi is Volkswagon's luxury line- just like Lexus is Toyota's luxury line. VW has never really been well known for reliability (save for the classic 79-older Beetle - which is a classic). I do however like the styling on some of their newer cars and the all-new Volkswagon Phaeton sedan is a very nice automobile. Optional V-12, with over 500HP. With a base curb weight of over 5000 lbs, it needs it. :D