Looking To But Ls400

equalizir

Hi all,I just joined the forum a few days ago.this is my first post here.Im in southern california(riverside) and a dealer in the san diego area has a '93 ls400 with 137,000 miles on it.There selling it for $7,995.I havent actually seen the vehicle yet.I plan on checking it out in the next day or two.I have seen pictures and it looks pretty good.I just wanbted you guys opinions on the price?Is it way too much or about where it should be?I dont know about other places in the country but lexus's in southern cali seem to hold there value well even with high miles.But any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.-Art

Well, it all depends. You haven't told us anything about it.

First, share those pictures with us; so, we can see the condition. Tell, us the maintance records, what has been replaced and repaired so, we can see if the common problems have been taken care of and if tune ups or other things have been done on time.

A lexus dealer can look up the maintance records of the car by using the VIN #. They can tell you where and what has been done by the Lexus dealer.

They can also check the car for a little $ and tell you the potential problems and problems that you might face in the future.

Pull up carfax on it and see how many owners did it had before and where was it driven. Less the # of owners usually the better it is.

Tell us the book value of the car, just as a guide, with the condition of what you think it should be excellent, good, fair, or poor. Private and Retail value at www.kellybluebook.com

Test Driving: Test drive it in all conditions, in city and highway. Condition of the car boiles down here. Drive it in speeds of 60-75mph and see if there is any vibration OR see if there is vibration in any speed range.

Floor it one time or two and see what it does. Also, see how the transmission reacts.

Good Luck

:cheers:

Yeah, I guess I agree with 93. Since it sounds like the car is a ways away from you, that makes it difficult.

What I would do (isn't hindsight great) is read everything I could here on this forum. The higher the level of knowledge you have about these cars, the better you will be able to just the value. Pay particular interest to the following:

Power Steering System and Steering Rack

Brakes and indications of trouble

Suspension System; a little worn or off in these cars causes big vibrations.

Air Conditioning

Dash lights and illumination

and some others, I'm sure others will suggestion areas to look at as well.

I can't stress the importance of being knowledgable and prepared. When you SEE the car, you will love the car. This can alter you judgement causing you to miss important things that are very expensive to repair. On the other hand, you may very well find a great deal and you will know it. Overall, it will make you feel more confident that you are making the right decision.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. And don't forget your camera because if we have pictures we can offer more help. Take pictures of everything you can.

Denny

equalizir, it looks clean. I just looked up Kelly Blue book on it and it says that the dealer should be asking just over $9,000 for it.

Listen to everyones comments about what to do on the test drive. It will help you asses the cars condition. Chances are that it will go for another 100,000 miles. These cars last for ever. May need a few things along the way to keep it in perfect condition, nothing major.

Let us know your thoughts after you take it for a test drive (then buy it).

Thanks mb and thanks everyone else for the input.I plan on test driving it this weekend.Im not too concerned with the mileage cause this car will not be a daily driver.It will actually be our third car.My wife and are are having a baby soon and since my main transpo is a 2 seater(crx) I figured id better get something bigger so I can throw a baby seat in the back,lol.Ive never had a nice luxury type car so this will be my first.Ill post when I get home from the dealer.Thanks again guys

• 3 years later...
Hi all,I just joined the forum a few days ago.this is my first post here.Im in southern california(riverside) and a dealer in the san diego area has a '93 ls400 with 137,000 miles on it.There selling it for $7,995.I havent actually seen the vehicle yet.I plan on checking it out in the next day or two.I have seen pictures and it looks pretty good.I just wanbted you guys opinions on the price?Is it way too much or about where it should be?I dont know about other places in the country but lexus's in southern cali seem to hold there value well even with high miles.But any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.-Art

I BOUGHT MY LEXUS LS400 1993 WITH 65K MILES AND IT WAS PRETTY DARN CLEAN FOR $7400. BUT THERE WAS A FEW THINGS NEEDED TO B REPAIRED ALL IN ALL IT WILL COST ME $1500 BUCKS TO FIX. I THINK IT WAS A GOOD DEAL FOR ME. I HAD THE GUY TAKE IT TO HIS LOCAL LEXUS DEALERSHIP SO THEY CAN RUN AN INSPECTION FOR ME. COST $95 BUCKS BUT WAS WORTH IT. GOOD LUCK!

• 6 years later...

Hi, Its looking pretty good. If everything is ok in this car or maintenance is also fine then do you not go with market research. See what is current rate, post your affordable price. Sure you will gate perfect buyer to buy this.