Key Programming

I never received a wallet key for my 2001 Lexus ES 300. I contacted local Lexus dealer and here is thier price quote-

The price for the master key is $245.00,the valet key price is $82.50, &

the wallet key is $64.20.The prices do not include taxes or labor for installation of theseitems. The installation ( Key programming) is $45.00 for any key.

Is there a way I can buy the wallet key and program it my self? Is there a place where I can get any of these keys(especially the wallet key) cheaper ?

Please advise

Thanks

www.lexus-parts.com

The wallet key is listed at $34 (I think, I haven't checked for awhile). You give them your VIN, and they send you a cut key. You can actually get all of your keys here... for a lot less than at the dealership.

The wallet key does not need to be programmed, as it does not have the microchip in the head (some years included a key card/holder with the chip in it, but I don't think the 2001 ES has that). The wallet key can only be used to unlock your doors and trunk. If, by chance, you do have the key card with the chip in it, I am assuming it is programmed the same way as a regular key, except you hold the card near the ignition during programming.

I believe lexus-parts sends programming instructions with the microchipped keys. If they don't, let me know and I can get them for you.

>>The wallet key can only be used to unlock your doors and trunk

My '92 wallet key most definitely works in the ignition as well as doors and trunk.

It does, however, wear out very quickly, so think of it only as OnStar-in-your-pocket. :-)

Would the inability to unlock the trunk with the master key be a programming problem? I just bought a 2001 ES300 and it came with just the master key. The remote will unlock the doors and stuff but not the trunk. I can open the trunk with the dash button, or manually with the key but not with the remote.

Thanks in advance,

Hank

Would the inability to unlock the trunk with the master key be a programming problem? I just bought a 2001 ES300 and it came with just the master key. The remote will unlock the doors and stuff but not the trunk. I can open the trunk with the dash button, or manually with the key but not with the remote.

Thanks in advance,

Hank

Hank, have you tried holding the trunk key button down for 2-3 seconds? That's the trick to using the trunk button. I couldn't figure it out the first time when I got my '01 ES last year, and now I can open it every time if I hold the trunk button down long enough and hear the familiar "beep" and trunk pop.