2013 ES 300H (116K) Engine oil leaking issue

Hyunjoong

I recently test drove 2013 ES 300H (116K miles) from local dealer. The vehicle seemed to be running good and cabin is very clean.

However, when I checked engine room, I saw engine oil seepage or leaking (see the posted pictures).

There is no sign of oil dripping on the bottom of this car.

Thus, I brought this car to Lexus dealer for inspection.

They said... TIMING COVER GASKET: REMOVE AND RESEAL TIMING COVER, REPLACE VALVE COVER GASKET AND CRANK SEAL ($4039 repair cost) 

So, I am wondering if this could be normal issue for any high mileage 2013 Lexus ES 300H vehicle? 

If this is not common for Lexus ES 300H (116K), should I avoid this car? Or still I can drive without the recommended repair.

Does anyone can share their experience or opinions?

What are the main causes for this kind of engine oil leak at 116K? 

Thank you for your opinions in advance!!! 

KakaoTalk_20220911_223347855_01.jpg

KakaoTalk_20220911_223347855_03.jpg

KakaoTalk_20220911_223347855_04.jpg

KakaoTalk_20220911_223347855_05.jpg

KakaoTalk_20220911_233934983_03.jpg

Edited by Hyunjoong

It's an unfortunate reality that some Toyota engines have a leaker as they age.

Catastrophic? No. Annoying? Yes.

I keep a drip pan under my car and keep check on the oil to make sure the leak has not gotten worse over time. 

If you decide to get the gaskets replaced, consider a well-rated independent shop or Toyota dealership. Both would charge less than the average Lexus dealership. Our valve cover gaskets were replaced at about 120,000 miles and 13 years of age. The gaskets were replaced by an independent shop.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestion! I compared two estimations from Lexus and Toyota dealers. The estimation from Lexus dealer is 1.6 times higher. (Note: the estimation from Lexus dealer is accurate because they inspected car. The estimation from Toyota dealer could be just approximate since I just talk to them over the phone)

By the way, is this job requires uninstallation of the engine from the vehicle? That is what I was told at Lexus dealer (They estimated it 18 hr. job)

TIMING COVER GASKET: REMOVE AND RESEAL TIMING COVER, REPLACE VALVE COVER GASKET AND CRANK SEAL ($4039 repair cost) 

That's nearly $239/hr if they didn't charge for the part. Last time I checked labor was about $185/hr in my area. That would mean the seal was nearly $1000 if labor was $185. I doubt the part(s) would be anywhere close to that. 

Point being, an independent shop will probably charge a lot less for the parts and labor. It is however a labor intensive procedure. If you go that route have them change your timing belt too. 

Removal of the engine? Sometimes an engine needs to be lifted a bit, but I've never heard of a need to remove an engine to change the seals mentioned. I am suspicious about the crank seal leak. That should not be leaking from a 2013 engine. I would have a different shop inspect the leakage.