Replacing Timing Belt

vevro

Hi All,

I know this topic has been discused many times before but i haven't found any information as to what tools i will need to help me get the job done. My car recently crossed over 100K and i feel it's time to change the timing belt, v-belt, water pump (maybe not after inspection) and tensioner. I'm planning to tackle the job myself with some help from my father, who used to be a mechanic for 20 years, some 10 years ago. I was hoping you can provide me with the diagrams and a list of tools that will help me.

Would i also need to flush the cooling system if i change the water pump? <_<

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I, too am interested in this topic. I talked to a local Lexus Dealer and the service manager said that when they change the belt, they also change the rear main seals (according to him, these seals commonly go). Is this true or is this guy trying to make another fast buck?

Also, I've heard that the Toyota Cressida's engine was designed so that if the timing belt breaks, the engine will not have any internal damage. Is this also true for the LS400 (a toyota engine)?

To answer the last question of Vevro, yes, you do need to flush the coolant because of the fact that you've contaminated the existing one when you worked on the water pump.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

David

Hi All,

I know this topic has been discused many times before but i haven't found any information as to what tools i will need to help me get the job done. My car recently crossed over 100K and i feel it's time to change the timing belt, v-belt, water pump (maybe not after inspection) and tensioner. I'm planning to tackle the job myself with some help from my father, who used to be a mechanic for 20 years, some 10 years ago. I was hoping you can provide me with the diagrams and a list of tools that will help me.

Would i also need to flush the cooling system if i change the water pump? <_<

you have a 99 ls400 and its using timing belts??? i would have thought it would use chains... :unsure:

• 1 year later...

buddy, your best bet is to go to a lexus dealer and buy the genuine shop manuals for your LS, those manuals are very detailed and shoud provide a list of special tools needed for the job u are planning, I must warn u though, shop around if you can cause those manuals can be pricey, but they are worth it..

good luck