My Es Idles Really Low

Hello Everyone,

My '92 ES300 idles very low when I am waiting at stop lights. It idles at about 500 rpms, and because it idles so low, it gives that deep sound that bugs my ears. Is there any way to adjust the idle? If I give the car a little gas while waiting at the lights (until it reaches 100 rpms or so), then the car sounds much better.

Thanks for the help!

Bryan

you can raise the idle near the throttle body opening there is a screw to turn to either raise or lower the idel.look right on top of the throttle body and you will see the screw.ilet me know if you need more help finding it but its pretty easy to find.

you can raise the idle near the throttle body opening there is a screw to turn to either raise or lower the idel.look right on top of the throttle body and you will see the screw.ilet me know if you need more help finding it but its pretty easy to find.

Sorry, but I don't know what the throttle body is :blushing:

I was able to find the throttle cable (so that I could rev the engine from under the hood) but I couldn't see any screw around there. Is that the throttle body, or is the throttle body somewhere else?

I am still trying to find my way around a car . . .

Thanks,

Bryan

were you rev the engine under the hood is right were the thottle body is.the thrattle body is were the air filter is connected to the metal.its right were you rev the motor at.the screw is right there and holds the part that you were reving.look real good right there and you will see it.let me know if you still cant find it and i will take a pic for you.

Thanks! I'll give it another try tomorrow after work. I thought I looked all over that throttle thing but could not find a screw. I must be blind :P

Is the screw on top of the throttle body (looking down on the engine) or on the side (looking from the front of the car). I just couldn't find anything yesterday.

I thought I asked someone about adjusting the idle once, and they said it isn't possible because, whatever adjustment you make, the ECU will compensate and put it back to where it originally was . . . have you ever heard of this before?

Regards,

Bryan

you don;t adjust the idle by moving the screw anymore

it is supposed to be controlled by the computer for the idle

the problem is more than likely a dirty throttle body which needs to be cleaned

easy fix and it will bring back accelerationa mpg and a smoother idle

for $10

Is this cleaning procedure something that i could do on my own, or should i take it to a shop to get it done?

And adjusting with the screw did help my idle. I brought it from 400 rpm to 600 rpm, so it sounds much better now. 600 rpm is the maximum that i could go . . .

Regards,

Bryan

It's a common problem with the 3.0 V6 motors, and I had the same. We ended up pulling off the entire throttle body, and cleaning it. It still didn't help much- but it was dirty, so it was nice to have it cleaner. Sometimes you get a sticky throttle cable, and can be replaced. I ended up sending the throttle body out to Downey in California, and they bored and polished it for about $350. It ran like brandnew after that, and idled around 700rpm. Adjusting the set screw is kind of a bandaid for now.

skperformance has a good point about maybe cleaning the throttle body out and that might help.;my freind had that trouble once and cleaning it didnt help it at all so we raised his idle a little and its been fine for over 2 years.they say you shouldnt raise it but it wont hurt nothing in my opinoin since my freind did his and never had a problem.