Trd Oil Filters:

Lexusfreak

Anybody ever used (or are currently using) TRD (Toyota Racing Development) oil filters on their vehicles? :unsure: Just courious how they have performed, the cost compared to the regular "Toyota" oil filters & finally does anybody have the part number(s) for a 2001 ES? (should be the same as tht V6 Camry 97 - 01?) How much better is the TRD filter suppose to be over other filters on the market?

:cheers:

Lexusfreak, I just looked up the price on the TRD's WOW $19.50 per filter. From the description next to it, it sounds like its for high performance or extreamly hard driving. I would rather change my oil every 1,500 miles than pay that for a filter.

Wholy :censored: mpb! $19.50 a filter? WOW! :rolleyes: I'll stick with what I'm using now thanks lol. Thanks gents!

monarch, perhaps if the security company did use the better filters & oil, they could have got well over a million miles lol :lol: j/k monarch ;)

Lexusfreak, there is no significant wear or gas mileage advantage to using synthetic and therefore most commercial courier type and security patrol companies do not use synthetic. Same deal with the semi-truck industry; i.e. most do not use synthetic. I first learned synthetics were nearly all hype back in the 1970's when I used Mobil 1 in a new Chevy Vega engine. These engines would wear fast and become severe oil burners after only 50,000 -75,000 miles. Exclusive use of Mobil 1 failed to stop the wear and associated oil burning.

besides a crap motor with good oil is still a crap motor

fleets don;t need to worry about oil breakdown as the cars are hardly shut down

synthetic earns it weight in gold at start ups not just normal driving

changes in temperature breakdown oil more than milage

Agreed sk! B) it's important for those who live in a nothern climate where we have extremely wide temperature change between summer & winter......not to mention the ES does not come standard with a block heater which puzzles me somewhat as well :huh:

All Canadian Lexus should have the cold weather package with a block heater

are you sure you have a canadian model?

or just haven;t found it as it might be tightly wrapped somewhere in there

you have heated seats and mirrors ,right?

I've got "package 3" which is everything (including heated seats & mirrors) except chrome wheels! I have both the Canadian & American 2001 Brochures as well & an engine block is not standard equipment. The said I could get one for about $185.00 plus tax to get one installed but said it wasen't necessary since the car is garage kept & I use synthetic oil. Now is the block heater "drilled" into the block or what is the process they use to install it? I was quite suprised as well that one was not "standard equipment as well" & yes I'm sure it's a Canadian ES 300 B)

So just "plug & play" if you will as opposed to drilling into the block? I wonder if I should buy the block heater at my dealer & take it to my mechanic to install? :unsure: I assume it's fairly easy to install? Where is the freeze plug located on a 2001 ES?

should be the same place as mine as we have the same block

it is to the left of the oil filter just above it which is located under the front exhuast manifold

funny enpugh i thought you would ask so i looked today

lol sk :lol: I appreciate your help. Where did you buy your block heater or suggest I go to get one? (Toyota & Lexus parts dept the same price?) How long roughly would it take a good mechanic to install?

should take about 20 minutes to put in but you will have to take the little bit of air out the sytem by bleeding it again

see if you can buy a block heater kit as just the plug and cord might cost way more

i bought one for my grand prix when it was rebuilt for $18 while the parts seperatly was $120 kind of dumb.

my car came with the block heater i never added it, like i mentioned it was supposed to be part of the cold weather kit

take a good look it might be there just hidden

I'll have a look sk, but like I mentioned, it is not factory equipment on a 2000 or 2001 Canadian ES......they do offer it as an "accessory" at the back of the brochure however just not standard equipment which blows my mind! :blink::rolleyes: Thanks again for your help sk.