Windshield chips/cracks

Rory Stroh

Anybody else have problems with chips and cracks on the windshield? I have about 20 very small chips in my first two weeks of ownership. Then a 50 cent piece starburst in the middle of windshield passenger side. I live in the Phoenix area, and we are used to chipped/cracked windshields, but never this many chips in so short a time.  I watched a YouTube video reviewing the LC 500, and the windshield on that car had the exact starburst crack that mine has, at the exact spot. Scroll to the 5:50 mark of video. 

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 years later...

I got a small chip the second day I drove the car with the gray wingspan of about a 1/4 inch (see pics).  Had it fixed the same day.  Since then just a few small pot holes.

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have a 2018 LC500 that have owned less than a year and a half.  Replaced windshield within 6 months of purchase due to rock strike which cracked to edge of glass.  Replaced with Lexus OEM (that was a fight with my insurance) and already have 2 rock strike cracks, but also seem to have numerous small scratches or tiny chips.  Seems as if this glass may be a problem.  I have never had this level of issues before with windshield damage. 

Low-frontal area cars tend to have more windshield chips than do SUVs and sedans. Both my formerly owned Corvette and my current MX5 have had lots of chips. My insurance agent told me that they expect people to replace their windshields after some number of years, especially if highway use is frequent. HUD windshields are typically quite expensive to replace if not through your insurance.

One thing you should never do is drive behind a lifted, huge tire-equipped Jeep or truck with offroad tires. Those tires tend to throw off marble-sized rocks shortly after someone moves in behind the vehicle.