1998 LS400 Suspension

WaveRunner

Dealer says I need new shocks. They offer KYB and OEM. They want a fortune so I'm looking to buy the parts online and have independent mechanic look do it. I'm reading very mixed reviews on KYB replacements. Some say they are near identical to OEM performance others say they are rough. I'd prefer as close to OEM as possible. OEM shocks online are $212 a piece whereas KYB can be had for under $100. I'd also replace the strut mounts and bumpers. How much labor would you say is reasonable for this job on all four corners? Another thing is I need to replace a leaking steering rack, I figured it would be a good time to change the tie rod ends and lower ball joints too. I'm trying to get this car as close to original ride without breaking the bank. I did the strut rods and that had some improvement. I'm wondering now about control arm bushings, rear carrier bushings, etc. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Most info I'm finding is either several years old or for the first generation LS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have KYB-GR2s and they ride close to stock but not as soft as stock. I recommend getting those. ALL the suspension and steering components need attention on cars this old. If you have the money and are inclined I suggest you get it done.

Be reminded that if you are talking about the rear suspension, we are talking a lot of labor in my case (98 LS 400) the whole back seat needs to be removed in order to get access to the rear suspension mounts

I would advise be absolutely sure that rear suspension needs some work or not, make sure there is no tyre cupping just like i had in mine which ruined my 1 year old only Pirelly P7 tyres (check the photo), but i believe tyre cupping is caused because of alignment problem anyway that may become off topic

I would also recommend to drive to your local mechanic shop and get some advise from there as well, dont just simply go what the dealer says, also better first you stockpile all the parts you have to replace and then go shop by shop how much everyone quotes for the labor

Pielli P7- tyre cupping.jpg

Pirelli P7- tyre cupping.jpg