knock sensor or rev sensor

Jeff Shotwell

There are several faults which will prevent the transmission from shifting into 4th gear.  From personal experience I know that either a fuel injector failure or a cylinder coil failure will cause that to happen.  The code you have appears to definitely be related to a transmission issue.  https://www.autocodes.com/p1730_toyota.html.

Me thinks you are going to have to find a reliable transmission shop to identify and replace the failed switch/sensor.  On the positive side there seems to be no indication of anything mechanically wrong with the transmission so hopefully you won't need to take your banker along for the service.  Good luck.

Great, thanks very much for responding, Filehorse.  Now, just yesterday, out of the blue, it started shifting properly.  This happened to me with my first Rx300.  I took it to transmission shops but they never could get it to fail, so they found nothing wrong.    Then of course, as soon as I get back into it, it fails again.  That really complicates things.  But the code then was the knock sensor, and one shop just knew that could cause it, from experience.  He fixed it.  Cost about $1100 because the intake or exhaust manifold, I forget which, has to be removed to replace the sensors.  I bet it's probably the same thing, but of course, I don't know for sure.  Thanks again.