Winter tires/wheels

land yachting

Hi Guys,

I just got home from a pretty cool vacation: me and a couple friends flew out to California where I bought a 1993 LS400 with 80,000 miles and drove it back home to Michigan. The car is in excellent condition and I'm planning on using it for my daily driver for years to come.

That brings me to my question: I plan on buying a set of winter tires, and I'd like to buy an inexpensive set of wheels to have them mounted on. I've heard that the LS400's have very large brake calipers so not just any old 16" rim will fit. OEM wheel measurements are 16x7 5 lug on 4.5"  and I measured a 41.25 mm offset, does this sound correct? 

I've heard some guys run the 16" Supra wheels as winter wheels because they are a perfect fit and pretty easy to come by on craigslist for cheap. I found a set for $150 pretty close to where I live that seems like a good option. What are other popular winter wheel setups that wont break the bank? 

According to www.wheelsandcaps.com where I buy winter wheels, the offset is 45mm.

A number of Toyota vehicles have used this offset including Camry and Avalon.  

I distinctly remember that Tire Rack sold Avalon take-off wheels in their winter wheel/tire packages for the gen 1 LS400 in the early 1990's.

• 2 weeks later...

For that matter, stock '93-94 LS rims should be relatively cheap since they're somewhat unloved, style-wise.  '97-2000 LS rims (the 5-spoke flavor) will look good on the earlier LS.  Good snows (I've used Blizzaks and General Altimax Arctic) and TCS on that gen of LS will work pretty well in even western MI snow conditions. If you do drive it in snow and ice, keep it clean when you can and it'll stay surprisingly rust-free.