AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

pj8708

MAJOR Lexus electric/fuel cell announcement

Lexus has announced they will not develop anymore hybrids. Instead, they will move directly to electric and fuel cell technology. 

This announcement follows with new Lexus models probably in the LS price bracket. I'm anxious to hear if there is any response from the German folks.

I would imagine there will be a lot of questions from current hybrid owners. Read the article below.

What do you think the future Lexus market will look like?

Paul

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/10/02/lexus-to-skip-plug-in-hybrids-move-directly-to-fuel-cell-and-full-electric-po

Thanks for posting this up Paul, I was very surprised to read the article as over in the UK most manufacturers are climbing over themselves to do the right thing and go Hybrid or full EV.

I think also that the decision is cost-based as opposed to any other factors....hybrids cost loads to produce whereas plug-in Electric Vehicles have got to be a lot cheaper to produce.

In the UK, there is a strong debate about the future of EV being dominant in the market as there aren't enough plug-in points in a city to 'top up' your battery whereas, on a  Parallel Hybrid, it doesn't matter.

Lexus is still however, strongly pushing the Hybrids here in the UK and there doesn't seem to be any let up in this trend.