Thoughts on this 2007 Lexus ES 350 for sale?

jagsfan05

http://carsofnashvilletn.com/2007-Lexus-ES350/Used-Car/Nashville-TN/9522579/Details.aspx 

I test drove it today and it seemed nice. My only concern is the high mileage and the recall issue with the airbag that needs to be fixed. But they mentioned if you take it into a Lexus dealership they would do it for free. 

Other than that, what do you think overall? Worth more to look into? If so, I might take it into a local mechanic for a spot check. 

Thanks.

jagsfan05,

First off, if a Lexus has been well taken care of (same with Toyota's), they are pretty much bullet proof.

We have always purchased Toyota Cressida's and then Lexus ES's for my wife (all used by two or three years of ownership) and we have never been let down by one of them, and we've had six of them. They are simply great cars! Other than regular maintenance and replaceables as tires and wipers, we've only ever had to replace one torque converter at 280 00 kms on one of them, and that's for 6 different vehicles over the years.

That's not to say that once and awhile any car can have a major failure, but they are rare with Lexus, Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Kia and Hundai products.

I agree with your independent mechanic, check out the car, over and above what the dealership offers. I wouldn't buy one without it. Check the car out, and if it screams "pride of ownership" by the previous owner and is pristine, and every option works as intended, .... providing the price is correct for your market, ... there is no reason not to expect that you'll enjoy the car and its reliability  way past 400 000 miles or more.

Good Luck with your car hunting!

Gene

Thanks for your response....maybe it is too high of a price for the high mileage. Just depressed...currently without employment or a vehicle. So I can't necessary just take out a loan for a vehicle and have to pay out of pocket...hence why I was looking in this price range. Just feel like I'm not going to find anything and get out of this hole :(

jagsfan05,

If I understand you correctly, you're presently unemployed and you need a vehicle?

That changes my response to whether you should purchase this or any Lexus at this stage. All cars, regardless of make, will need repairs and replacement parts at some stage, and Lexus parts are MORE expensive than their Toyota counterparts. Maybe you should be looking at a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic or similar in the $3500 to $4000 range or lower, until you get on your feet.

Gene

On 8/25/2017 at 7:01 PM, gbhrps said:

jagsfan05,

If I understand you correctly, you're presently unemployed and you need a vehicle?

That changes my response to whether you should purchase this or any Lexus at this stage. All cars, regardless of make, will need repairs and replacement parts at some stage, and Lexus parts are MORE expensive than their Toyota counterparts. Maybe you should be looking at a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic or similar in the $3500 to $4000 range or lower, until you get on your feet.

Gene

Yes that's correct, currently unemployed and need a vehicle but my wife has both. Just feeling down like I can't make anything happen...frustrated.

Just an update...I called the dealership back to see if they had the original maintenance records from the previous car owner and if they would be willing to come down on the price a little bit. If they would, then I would be more open to taking it to a local mechanic to check it out. They didn't have the previous maintenance records and she said all she had was the Carfax. And she mentioned that they aren't willing to come down on the price anymore. She said they have already brought it down from $7,000. As you can see from the listing on CarGuru: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=178506493

Just frustrated....not willing to pay that price for that high of mileage I don't think. Just don't know what to do from here.

Also, just curious. On another forum, someone said because this car model is a 2007 and over 10 years old, the re-call is no longer outstanding and it is a repair that I would need to pay for? But both the car dealer and the customer service rep from the Lexus phone line told me that the recall would be free even with this 2007 model if I brought it into a Lexus dealer? Confused...who is right?