New rotors got rusty within three months

A local mechanic replaced my original brake pads and rotors on my 2007 RX350 about three months ago. I have been noticing lot of rust lately on the rotor surfaces especially on the area where there is no contact with the brake pad. Please see the attached picture of passenger side rear rotor. When I reported this to the mechanic shop they are saying that it is normal to see the surface rust on rotors. Is it really normal. I never noticed rust on the original rotors which I had them for almost 7 years. When I said that I am not happy the way the rotors look then the mechanic is offering  to install new rotors for free of labor charge if I can bring my own rotors from elsewhere. I would like to get your thoughts on these rusty rotors, is it common to get the surface rusty. It costed me around $500 to replace the brakes and rotors on all four wheels. Thanks for your responses.

20170819_165418.jpg

Brake rotors will usually have a light coat of oxidation, but those definitely have more rust than usual. It's obvious he used some cheaper aftermarket ones from probably advanced auto or Autozone. Those cheap rotors are sometimes made from china. I mean, It will still perform fine.

Your OEM lexus rotors would've been fine. I don't understand why didn't he just use and resurface/machine your original rotors.

• Like 1

You can get Brembo (Manufacturer Part #: 25861) rotors at tirerack.com for $40 each. These will NOT rust like the rotors in the photo you posted. 

•