Seat Belt Assembly Removal vs. Potential Impacts

sriddle1nh

Hi, I'm a new member but have followed this site for many years.  I just replaced the Driver's Door Lock Actuator with a rebuilt unit I purchased from EBay.  Last Fall I replaced the Mode Servo Motor and now I'm down to two items before the winter arrives. The Remove/Replace the Air Mix Servo and Remove/Replace a Non-Retracting Driver's Seat Belt.  I've watched several YouTube Videos on how to remove the Seat Belt Assembly, seems pretty simple.  I intend to physically take the pulled Assembly to "SafetyRestore", a Business based in Westfield, MA that refurbishes the Unit with a 24 hour turnaround.   In the YouTube it has you disconnect the Negative Terminal to the Battery up-front, I've read WARNINGS about the Explosive Potential of these units.  Additionally, it would be a good 3 day turn-around once the unit is removed until the refurbished unit is re-installed.  I'm asking this forum for potential impacts with my approach, I have no clue how disconnecting the Seat Belt Unit's wiring harness will affect other elements within the vehicle.  Could someone set me straight with regards to any potentials I am unaware of.  I purchased my '99 RX300 new and now going over 2350K Miles, no rust and I always have the scheduled maintenance performed on-time, even do the Transmission Fluid and have the metal screen cleaned every 15 K since I only put 5 K a year on it.  any Technical assistance would be appreciated.  

Once you have disconnected the negative terminal, allow at least 30 minutes before carrying out any work on the SRS system as there is a capacitive charge which will need time to decay allowing the system to become safe to work on

Trevor,  Thanks for your response.  I have been roaming thru other Threads and saw similar Warnings.  I learned about Capacitive Charges several years ago from an HVAC Rep working on an outside A/C Condensing Unit, big time charge stored as Start-Up Boost........  I sent a note to the author of the YouTube suggesting he add your comment.  I've also been looking at the Lost Power Posts and see there's a process to get things back up and running, just wondering how having the negative terminal disconnected for say 4-5 days would affect things.

Before you go down the road of seat belt replacement I suggest you look at this video and give this a try.  I have an RX300 with 225,000 on the clock and over the years the driver's side belt had gotten to the point you almost had to push it back to make it retract.  I follow the procedure demonstrated in the attached video and the belt now retracts as easily as when new..!!  You don't realize how stiff the belt has become until you feel the clean and dry version.  The only change to the process I made was to put a small amount of liquid fabric softener in the rinse water.  I also used a nylon bristle brush to scrub the belt on both sides while in the detergent solution.  Be sure to rinse the belt more than once.  After looping the cleaned belt over the steering wheel to dry it literally worked like new and still does.  I'd do it outside where the sun can help with the drying. 

I had actually bought a used seat belt thinking it would fix the problem but as I researched the same issues you are now considering I ran across the belt cleaning process and could not be happier.  I think you'll be amazed at the difference and it's a LOT easier than removing the entire assembly for rebuilding and I promise it will cost less..!!

Good luck.

Filehorse......All can say is WOW, never thought cleaning the Nylon Seat Belt Webbing would result in a Good-As-New Retracting Seat Belt…… As the video instructed, I extended the belt all the way out then locked it with a clip. I added a small mixture of Lestoil and the Dawn Ultra Platinum to a 5 gallon bucket, filled it ¾ full with very hot water and then let the belt soak for three hours.  I pulled the belt from the water, dried it off with a Towel then hit it with some Armor all Multi-Purpose Cleaner.  Changed-out the water, added some Downy Ultra Liquid Fabric Softener and refilled with very hot water again.  Let the Belt soak for another hour then a thorough rinse and fully dried…… Amazing !!  Like the Driver's Door Lock Actuator, I waited way too long.......Thanks Again Filehorse for the TIP.......

• Like 1